Poker In Colorado
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What poker books do you own?

5 posters

Go down

What poker books do you own? Empty What poker books do you own?

Post  PoWdA Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:50 pm

I own a few and have read others but I try to buy the books so I have them for reference. Here are mine:

Super System Doyle Brunson, Collaboration - Obviously the classic poker book. I read it mostly for Chips Reese's (RIP SIR!) section on 7 Card Stud and RAZZ. Honestly other than that section I don't really read anything else. I have read the book in it's entirety before it is just difficult to read on games nobody plays anymore and I honestly do not find Doyles NL Hold em section (in either book) to be good at all.

Super System 2 Doyle Brunson, Collaboration - Easily my most read and referenced book, mostly for the 2-7 Triple Draw section Daniel Negraneu wrote in it. It is the best and most complete Triple Draw section I have ever come accross. It is a must read section for anyone planning on playing Triple Draw. Jennifer Harmans Limit Hold Em section is very good as well and Todd Brunsons section on 7 Card Stud 8/b is must read for anyone planning on sitting at a Stud 8 table. Lyle Bermans section on Pot Limit Omaha is decent and the Limit Omaha 8 section isn't bad either. I also really enjoyed Steve Zolotows article titled "the Fox and the Hedghog" which is near the begining of the book. He really stresses arguments toward learning multiple games (the fox) and learning one game way too well (the hedgehog). That article really emphasises why I think it is important to know many forms of poker, rather than just Hold em. Once again I find that Doyles NL Hold em philosophy just doesn't mix with mine. I read enough "I put it all in here" or "I push in this spot" in his section to make me never reference it. He talks about pushing your stack in when behind a few to many times for my liking. This article is outdated as well in my honest opinion.

Theory of Poker David Sklansky - A must read. If you want to know the math in the game this is pretty much a one stop book for that. Sklansky touches on nearly all basic and many more complex ideas, moves, strategies and basic things you should know about poker. This is probobly the biggest most read on the list espescially for those who are not only playing NL Hold em tournies as he discusses the more broad math and concepts involved in poker in general as opposed to just specific games. A very good book for those who want to know the more technical aspects of poker.

Harrington On Hold Em Dan Harrington and Bill Robertie - The premier book on No Limit Hold em tournies. If you play No Limit Hold em tournies and have not read this book yet you are throwing money away. This book and the rest of series are hand down the best out there for the NL tourney player.

Harrington On Hold Em 2 Dan Harrington and Bill Robertie - The second part of the series. This is the book where Dan Harrington introduces his "M" system which is simply a system to help you to calculate your push or fold threashold in a NL Hold em tourney. The second part in the series. A must have. I recomend you read these books in order as certain concepts are discussed in whole in the first book and the second book makes more sense once you understand those concepts.

Kill Phil Blair Rodman - I have mixed views on this book. It says it is for beginners, a simple strategy for NL Hold em tourneys that basically consists of pushing preflop at the right times therefore negating any advantage a pro player could have over you by out-playing you on later streets. Although they say it is geared for beginners I think it would be very scary to put this book into the hands of a true beginner. Sure the system could allow a newbie to possibly get lucky but I personally am at a constant battle with luck as I try to play a solid correct game and make my profit over the long haul. This book attmepts to be like a "win quick at poker type book" but much of the strategy is actually pretty decent. If you look at this book as an extremely in depth look at pre-flop play I think it becomes a pretty valuable asset. I do recomend this book for NL tourney players that have been in the game a while and know what is going on, just don't let this book modify your style of play to much as it can get you into tons of trouble if you play thier strategy to a t. It is the ultimate in pre-flop play and I can only think of about 2 paragraphs in the entire book that speak of anything after the flop. Take what you can from this book but I don't recomend following this strategy too closely.

Poker the Real Deal Phil Gordon - A good read and this one steps a little bit outside of the usual dry reading that poker books tend to fall into mixed with some strategy tips. Phil shares stories from his poker career and puts you in positions and asks you how you would play it. he does not go though every hand in every scenario like other poker books often try to do but I still recomend this book if you are looking from something a little different.

More Hold Em Excellence Lou Kreiger - For Limit Hold Em players this book is a good read. It is also a good book for the beginner as Lou lays out pretty standard, solid, and very basic yet correct Limit Hold em strategy. I highly recomend this book for anyone loking to get more serious abou LHE and I think this is a good book to read if you are looking to beat the 2-5 game up the hill. It can get pretty boring at times but the advice in this book is pretty solid and covers Limit Hold em pretty well. I think Lou Kreiger is an underrated poker author. Check his books out sometime.

Poker for Dummies (pocket version) Lou Kreiger - I got his book as a joke for a buddy for his birthday. He wasn't entertained and I ended up with the book. I recomend buying this book, bringing it to a small buy-in up the hill or a bar game, and pulling it out and start reading it at the table. It is always good for a laugh.

Play Poker Like the Pros Phil Hellmuth - I am actually in the middle of reading both this book. So far the Limit Hold em section is a little aggressive for my tastes but his writing style is actually decent and his "animal types" seem pretty usefull for categorizing players quickly. I will add more once I finish the book.

Mike Caros Book of Tells Mike Caro - A book you should read if you play or plan on playing live. Another classic every poker player should read and own.

Ace on The River Barry Greenstein - Another one I am reading at the moment. So far this book looks like a decent coffee table book as it is very colorful with pictures on every page. I am actually past halfway through with the book and so far the first half has dealt a lot with Barry's life, how he got into poker, and a lot about the lifestyle of a professional gambler. The second half so far is about strategy and I enjoy him using different games and not only using strategy about hold em in his book. I recomend this book, it is a good read and I think that at least the first half could be enjoyed by someone who doesn't even really have an interest in poker.

Books I am reading or own and am going to read: Play Poker Like the Pros (so far so good), Zen and the Art of Poker, Omaha Hi/Lo Poker by cappaletti.

I also read a stud book a few years back and some tourney book by mccavoy. Bottom line is that I wasn't impressed with either.

I will add more reviews as I have the time. Please feel free to post up any books you own or any reviews you may have!
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

https://pokerincolorado.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

What poker books do you own? Empty Re: What poker books do you own?

Post  Wetdog Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:14 pm

Theory of Poker was recommended to me by Howard Lederer in Full Tilt chat. That was my first poker book. I've read it 3 times and will read again. Sklansky's writing style is pretty ponderous though. Not an easy read.

Hold 'Em Poker for Advanced Players was my second book. Again, Sklansky with Malmuth are not the best writers in that their concepts are not written clearly enough to be understood easily. Very solid concepts though, and a must read.

Actually, Poker The Real Deal was the second book I read. Not big on strategy, but not too bad either. Believe it or not, Gordon GAVE me the book 3 years ago for answering a trivia question (who was the 2001 WSOP ME champ - Chris Ferguson) at a promotional thing done by Seagrams.

High Low Split Poker by Ray Zee is a great book for Stud 8 and Omaha 8. Zee doesn't spoon feed his readers, but makes you think about the best play for a situation.

Small Stakes Holdem by Ed Miller is a book that is essential for someone starting out at low limit games in limit holdem. Read this one before any of the others mentioned so far.

Sklansky on Poker by David Sklansky is a must for anyone wanting to play Razz. The second half of the book is actually the text of an earlier book, Sklansky on Razz.
Wetdog
Wetdog

Location : Circling the drain, dragging everything I can reach with me

http://wetdogpoker.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWdA Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:36 am

Wetdog wrote:
Sklansky on Poker by David Sklansky is a must for anyone wanting to play Razz. The second half of the book is actually the text of an earlier book, Sklansky on Razz.
this is one I have been wanting to read. I have read a large part of the RAZZ section (the second half of the book) at the library but I do want to own thsi book. Glad to hear you liked it as I have been looking for a review. Do you have any other thoughts on the book?
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Wetdog Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:05 am

If you're serious about Razz, get this book. Malmuth says it's the best book 2+2 has ever done. Sklansky is not as ponderous in this book as in others, probably because it was transcribed from tape. Sklansky has a more laid back narrative style throughout.

The first half of the book is Sklansky essays, also in the less formal style. One Chapter, regarding the cards that are out is key to all stud games.

The book is relatively cheap as poker books go, and will be worth the price many times over.
Wetdog
Wetdog

Location : Circling the drain, dragging everything I can reach with me

http://wetdogpoker.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWdA Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:05 am

Wetdog wrote:If you're serious about Razz, get this book. Malmuth says it's the best book 2+2 has ever done. Sklansky is not as ponderous in this book as in others, probably because it was transcribed from tape. Sklansky has a more laid back narrative style throughout.

The first half of the book is Sklansky essays, also in the less formal style. One Chapter, regarding the cards that are out is key to all stud games.

The book is relatively cheap as poker books go, and will be worth the price many times over.
Yeah I want this book badly and have for some time but I can never find it. I was extremely happy to find it at the library but I don't like to borrow books, I like to buy them for reference and just to grow my collection. I already have about 4 books to read so I need to finish those before I get this book.

Has anyone here read the Full Tilt Tournament Guide? Everytime I see it in the stores it looks like a total newbie book but a few guys on another site I post on that are very very very good players have said that it is a very good book. Has anyone else read it? I need to finish the books I have because I need to get both Sklansky on Razz and the Full Tilt book.
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrupboy Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:01 pm

Never purchased a poker book. All my poker has been by experience, even before they started showing hole cards on television. My theory is that my experience, starting with a lot of losses, helps me play the game that I play. I've been told that reading books will help educate me in the way others think and possibly help me back peddle through situations, but I like my style and don't want to jeopardize my own thought process by reading others opinions. This is my own opinion of course, but I haven't had a losing year since 1999. I did read a book by Doyle Brunson called Poker Wisdom of a Champion which I'd highly recommend. The book does not talk about strategy, but tells stories around the game of poker. These are a series of short stories that Doyle recalls from his early poker years. Very entertaining.
Scrupboy
Scrupboy

http://pokerzerotohero.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dexman1349 Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:11 pm

PoWdA wrote:
Mike Caros Book of Tells Mike Caro - A book you should read if you play or plan on playing live. Another classic every poker player should read and own.

I have this book as well. I found it to be more helpful for how I control myself instead of what the others are doing. It makes you more aware of your own playing quirks. I didn't realize that I bounce my knee when I have a good hand and want a call, or that I stop shuffling my chips when I'm bluffing.

I also have The Illustrated Guide to No Limit Hold em. It's a very good book for beginners who don't have the priviledge of being able to play online. It has 50+ situational hands with a complete walk-though "solution" and explaination. It's a very conservative book, but periodically the author tends to contradict his own advice without explaination. I may re-read it again just to see how my opinion has changed since I got it back in 2006.

I'm looking to purchase a few books to help my collection as well:
Harrington on Hold em 1 & 2
Brunson's Super System 1 & 2
Sklansky's Theory of Poker

I know I'm not a "real" poker player since I neither own or have read any of these books. It might explain my severe lack of consistency lately.
dexman1349
dexman1349
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWdA Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:48 pm

I am suggesting Harrington Keith, 1 then 2. We were discussing push fold threshold a little after Jeffs game and Harringtons (or to be more specific Magriels) "M" concept is introduced in this book and is a great formula for push/fold threshold. Also the rest of the books are brilliant as well. Also, although "M" is introduced in Harrington 2 I still suggest reading 1 first as that is just how they tie together. You will get much more from them if read in order.
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWdA Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:15 pm

dexman1349 wrote:
PoWdA wrote:
Harrington on Hold em 1 & 2
Brunson's Super System 1 & 2
Sklansky's Theory of Poker

I know I'm not a "real" poker player since I neither own or have read any of these books. It might explain my severe lack of consistency lately.

I would say scratch buying either Super System unless you are playing games other than hold em. SS1 is outdated as far as the NL section is concerned and if you ask me Doyles NL style in both books, although most likely very new and fresh and cutting edge back in 1978, is simply too aggressive now and I don't suggest this section for the NL player. Super System 2 is only slightly different from SS1's NL section. The only time I would suggest either book is SS2 for the Triple Draw section. Although the books are not worthless (they are great for the mixed game player) I do not reccomend them for the NL tourney player. Also if you are a player who is begining to venture out into the different games I (suprisingly) think Phil Hellmuths "play poker like the pros" is a good book to give you an idea of how to play stud and omaha games. Although I find much of Phils advice on games like Omaha Hi/Lo and Stud very simplistic I think that his writing style on these games can be good for someone transitioning to a new game. Don't excpect deep hand for hand advice but he introduces you to very simple concepts which you can build on which I like.

Just my advice. For NL tourneys you already listed the only 2 books you need and skalnsky TOP should be read by all players.
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dexman1349 Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:49 pm

I'm probably going to get the Harrington pair and Sklansky's books first. I might try to find Hellmuth's book if I have some extra $.
dexman1349
dexman1349
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWdA Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:51 pm

dexman1349 wrote:I'm probably going to get the Harrington pair and Sklansky's books first. I might try to find Hellmuth's book if I have some extra $.
Since you are an engineer I think you might be able to soak up some sklansky pretty well. He is very math oriented and discusses optimal play and such a lot. I just say this because I figure an engineer would be good at math but you are still Keith so I don't know about that.
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dexman1349 Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:54 pm

PoWdA wrote:
dexman1349 wrote:I'm probably going to get the Harrington pair and Sklansky's books first. I might try to find Hellmuth's book if I have some extra $.
Since you are an engineer I think you might be able to soak up some sklansky pretty well. He is very math oriented and discusses optimal play and such a lot. I just say this because I figure an engineer would be good at math but you are still Keith so I don't know about that.

I'm always doing the math when I'm playing. The biggest problem is that it's usually the wrong math. Very Happy

playing online has really forced me to learn how to calculate the odds rather quickly. If only I knew what I should be calculating...
dexman1349
dexman1349
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Stallion Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:12 pm

dexman1349 wrote:
PoWdA wrote:

I'm always doing the math when I'm playing. The biggest problem is that it's usually the wrong math. Very Happy

playing online has really forced me to learn how to calculate the odds rather quickly. If only I knew what I should be calculating...

Sklansy will be perfect for you then. It'll make a huge difference in your game.
Stallion
Stallion

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down