Triple Draw - Snowing and Shared Outs

Go down

Triple Draw - Snowing and Shared Outs Empty Triple Draw - Snowing and Shared Outs

Post  PoWdA on Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:29 pm

I just started typing again. I have a hard time keeping on topic and ended up typing about a tricky little bluff I like to use which ended up unlocking and demonstrated the importance of a few other concepts.... The basic concept of shared outs and snowing. Once again, more random topics on Triple Draw I have picked up over the years.

A Bluff in Triple Draw

Here is a bluff that has won me quite a few pots over the years. This is best used on the second draw, the betting limits just increased and you and our opponents were drawing the same on the first draw so there was no betting and the pot is still small. You are heads up and out of position. You discard a 3 and a 10 and pair twice ending up with 23434. Your opponent collects 2 cards as well, the action is on you, what to do here? Well from the outside it looks like we are out of position with 2 pair and are most likely folding to a bet but what about betting? Here you have discarded or have 3 cards our opponent could very well need. This is a good time to bluff and try and take this pot down. Also notice you are out of position. Here a bet will look much stronger to your opponent than if you were in position. Notice that if you don't bet he can bet with anything and you have no idea where you are anymore an you will be forced to fold. Bet here and seize this pot! Sure this move requires some luck, he might have caught good, and it does include some other variables, but this bluff also brings up some key concepts to consider when you play Triple Draw: The basics of shared outs and bluffing.

So here you are going to bluff when:

A) You have just taken your second draw and both of you drew 2 (or more).

B) You hopefully have either drawn good wheel cards (that possibly pair yours) or discraded other good cards on the first 2 draws or both! The idea being that if you held those much needed cards your opponent is less inclined to have caught what he needed!

C) This one needs you to be out of position but can also work in position.

D) A little luck! ( he could have just drawn a monster but when is that not a possibility?)

Once we decide to follow through with the bluff what now? What if he calls? Do we break our hand out and draw 2? Or do we rap pat right here, bet, and hope he either pairs or catches a high card? Well since we don't know how many he is drawing I would suggest a "snow." I will cover this in a moment but for now lets say he calls, we then rap pat and he draws one for the third draw. We bet and he folds! Why did this work? This is a "snow." We incorporated the concept of shared outs with our snow and he bricked! Wether he paired or hit a high card it doesn't matter! We knew we had cards he might need, we took our information and we made a play! We don't have to do this often, and rarely ever have to snow but we must be aware of what a snow is, how shared outs help our decisions, and that if we never snow we will never get any action! So what are "shared outs" and what is a "snow?" Well the main reason for coming up with this bluff (or snow) is to demonstrate these 2 concepts.

The basic concepts of shared outs and snowing:

Shared outs

Here we are introducing a key lowball principle that cannot be ignored. The concept of shared outs. Just like in Razz, in 2-7 lowball (or A-5) you and your opponents are seeking the identical hand! While in a traditional high only game one person might need another 3 for trips, and one guy might need a spade for a flush, you also need an ace or a ten for a straight. In lowball you , bob, and harry might all be needing the same 4,6, or 3 to make your hand. Do you see the difference? In high only you might be drawing to a boat, a flush, and a straight but in lowball you are all going for the same wheel! It is going to be very common in lowball to be sharing outs and you must consider this information before making decisions. What did I discard? What cards of mine just paired? Could these possibly be cards my opponents need? You also must realize that for every lowcard you pair your chances of pairing go down. Think about it, you have just put one more card that can hurt you and help your opponent in the muck! This is great news all around for us! In lowball it is much better to pair a low card than to pick up a high card for this very reason. While catching a high card you are simply discarding it in effect has little to no effect on your opponent as they would be doing the same. Now if you pair a 3 discarding that 3 has great added value as now one of your opponents cannot have that card and you may have just killed an out of thiers! Always consider shared outs. One big consideration especially when bluffing or deciding to "snow" (rapping pat on a bluff, I'll cover this in a second) are your discards! Keep track of them! Pairing that 3 might have seemed like a pain for you but what you didn't know was that you just crippled the deck for your opponent and it is the reason you will win this pot!

Snowing

Snowing is a fancy way to say bluffing. Snowing is when you rap pat with little to no hand. You might rap pat on the first draw because you were dealt four 2's on the first draw and now know your opponent is drawing slim or maybe you decided to make your snow look more real by discarding one of those 2's and then rapping pat. I don't think I could even begin to cover all of the different snowing possibilities but I have already introduced a few key factors involved in a good snow. Keep track of your discards, if you have all the 2's this is an okay time to rap pat against one opponent and bet at him until he folds (what is he doing in the pot without a 2 anyway?). Another variable to consider before snowing is your position. As demonstarted in my earlier occasional bluff we bluffed out of position. Why does this work better out of position? We just look stronger betting into our opponent out of position. We would be crazy to bet here with nothing right? Well just for that reason our opponent has to give us credit for a hand, and he would be hard pressed to call us unless he improved pretty well. Couple this with the fact that we have discarded some pretty sweet cards and the chances are a little better that he didn't catch. This is just one instance, your better snowing opportunities will actually come in position but do you see how this all fits together? I hope so! because snowing isn't something that comes naturally for all. Knowing when to snow and who to snow against comes with time. There are a million snows, use all of the information available, and your best judgement, to decide if snowing is the right move or if you think you are better off folding or playing the hand straight forward. Remember that snowing is highly advanced poker and you should not be doing it as you learn the game. Hopefully your first snow attempt will come naturally as you see the opportunity but for now play it straight forward. What I am saying is that if this article is the first time you have heard of a snow than you shouldn't be doing it, but you should know what a basic snow is and why people do it.

So some more concepts for the begining Triple Draw player. Hope this gets you headed in the right direction!
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

https://pokerincolorado.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Triple Draw - Snowing and Shared Outs Empty Re: Triple Draw - Snowing and Shared Outs

Post  dexman1349 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:24 pm

I never thought of that scenario. Great concept. I may try to integrate this into my next game (although to a very small degree).
dexman1349
dexman1349
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum