Poker In Colorado
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Longmont Dealers Choice Cash Game

+2
dexman1349
korkskrew
6 posters

Go down

Longmont Dealers Choice Cash Game Empty Longmont Dealers Choice Cash Game

Post  korkskrew Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:49 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. Thanks to idh78 for refering me here.

I host a dealers choice home game at my home in Longmont once a month (because the wife won't let me host more). It is usually the second Saturday of each month, but this month was "special" so my April game is this Saturday, the 26th.

I'm not a night owl, so I start my games in the afternoon, usually at 2:00. I figure there should be at least one game in the world that doesn't start after 6:00 pm.

I like playing lots of different types of players, so I change the stakes for my game each month. Last month was nickel/dime stakes for the newbies, this month is 25/50 cent stakes for the poor, and next month will be $1/$2 stakes for the stupid (that covers nearly everyone, right?). Then I'll start over again with nickel/dime. I don't rake, and I don't limit the buy-in; you can buy as much or as little as you want.

If you're interested in a game down in this neck of the woods, or if you host a game and are looking for a new player or two (I have friends who would also like to find new games), please feel free to contact me.

Hope to meet some of you soon.

Don

Last edited by korkskrew on Mon May 05, 2008 6:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

korkskrew

http://www.milehighpoker.com/DON/

Back to top Go down

Longmont Dealers Choice Cash Game Empty Re: Longmont Dealers Choice Cash Game

Post  dexman1349 Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:57 pm

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend this month's game, but my wife pretty much understands I need at least one day a week that I can do what I want. Hopefully I can make it to an upcoming game.

Anyways, welcome to the site. Please feel free to browse through and comment as you wish.

Edit: What kind of dealer's choice are you talking about? Pass the trash, follow the queen, and other random games or is it like the other dealer's choice game here with HORSE and 2-7 triple draw?
dexman1349
dexman1349
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  korkskrew Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:23 am

(Most of you don't know the players I'm talking about here. This is mostly for the benifit of the players who attend my game. Who knows...maybe it will draw some new people to this forum)

After a two week delay and much anxiety over the number of players, my April game is in the books. Dave started out talking smack at me even before the cards started flying. He promised me that he would take all my chips and make me rebuy, then take them all again, thus making me throw something (in addition to chips) at him.

Now I should explain that there’s some history here. Most of you know that Dave and I are buddies, and consequently, Dave seldom subjects me to his considerable linguistic lashing skills. We recently had a conversation where I suggested that he wasn’t doing me any favors, in terms of me becoming a better player, by taking it easy on me. He seems to have taken that comment to heart. I haven’t decided if I’m glad or sad about that yet.

Anyway, about two hours into the game, Dave made good on part of his threat. I was on the button holding 7c9c, and limp / called his raise from the big blind. The flop came J77 and I figured I had him beat. He led out at me and I raised him. Then the Hollywood started; Dave finally convinced me that he had an over pair and pushed all in. I should have thought about JJ being an overpair...but there should be world peace too (plus I’m a donkey). So Dave busted me and forced me to rebuy another $60, scooping a $180 pot in the process. Not a bad pot for 25/50 cent stakes eh?

Dave had only bought in to the game for $62 (and he calls me gay). He had me covered on that hand because he had been doing what he usually does...consistently building his stack since the cards started flying. But we don’t like talking about that, do we? So here are two tales of Dave getting victimized:

The first one was an otherwise unremarkable hand between Christian and Dave. Dave made a largish raise before the flop, Christian re-raised, and Dave called. The flop was garbage, and I think there was a bet from Dave and a call from Christian. By the river the board was still completely ragged with a ten high and the pot was about $25 or $30. Dave checked, and Christian made a big bet. Dave did his customary minutes of pondering and finally called. OK, a call on the river; that’s when the drama is over and all is revealed, right? Well on this hand that was when it started. Dave asked “What do you have?” Christian replies “What do you have?” (Christian is a newbie so we cut him as much slack as we can. I try to make my game as newbie friendly as possible and teaching newbies, as we take their money, is part of the what my game is about). So now there’s a little educational session where we try to convey that Dave called Christian’s bet so he is entitled to see Christian’s cards. Christian is still reluctant, and asks Dave to show one. We start to explain to Christian that Dave is the one who gets to see first, but Dave is getting impatient and flips over a Queen putting a stop to the procedural lesson. Christian flips over a Jack. At this point Dave is pretty sure he has the best hand and flips over an 8. He has second pair with a Queen kicker. Christian says something like “An 8 is good”, because Dave starts reaching to pull the pot. Then Christian flips over another Jack! So now a whole new etiquette lesson starts with us trying to explain how slow rolling is bad sportsmanship. I can’t remember a hand with that much show-down drama.

The next story is just a rare and inexplicable misstep by Dave. I say inexplicable, but I think anyone who’s played plenty of poker has experienced it. At this point in the game, Dave had built a pretty healthy stack, although I can’t remember if this was before or after he wiped me out. He got into a hand with Chris, and pretty much any hand with Chris is going to be a big pot. Chris makes a substantial preflop raise and Dave calls. It’s time for The Dave and Chris show. Again. The flop is a bunch of babies; Dave checks knowing Chris always follows up, and of course Chris obliges. So here is what we know about Dave and Chris; that flop surely missed Chris, so Dave is going to try to represent low cards, so of course Dave obliges with a call. The turn is another low middle card; check / bet / call. And the river paired a six on the board. This time Dave led out with a big bet and Chris gets all grumpy because it’s just an awful board for an overpair, especially knowing Dave. Finally Chris decides Dave is just making a move and calls. Dave instantly says “straight” with complete conviction as he flips over a 57 off. The trouble is that he needed 47 to make the straight. All he had was 5’s and 6’s. No contest to Q’s and 6’s. Dave’s reaction was just hilarious. Chris’s was pretty funny too; after he started breathing again he pulled about an $80 pot.

Chris and I made misreads too, on the same hand! We were playing 7 Stud 8, I had a 5cQc in the hole and a Q in the door. As the hand progressed nothing really developed, but Chris kept betting, and I kept calling because it didn’t look like anything was developing for Chris either. On the last street, Chris made quite a large bet. After thinking about it a while, I said to myself “What the hell, his low can’t beat mine unless he has three babies in the hole” and I called. I flipped over and said “I’ve got a pretty good low and a pair of queens.” Chris asked “Did you beat my low?” We all kind of sat there a moment looking at the two hands and one by one started asking “How do you have a low?” “Well how do YOU have a low?” After a few minutes, it soaked into everyone’s heads that Chris and I were idiots, and that I was going to scoop a $55 pot with a pair of Q’s.

Steve made a rare and unexpected appearance this week! He showed up about an hour into the game and bought in with a mighty short stack of $25. He put on a valiant effort getting all in against Dave with the best by far. Dave hit a lucky river and Steve watched from the rail for the rest of the game trying to learn what he could from us. It was great to have you back Steve! Ian (idh78) made his first appearance in my game too. It was a pleasure to have him at my game, and now we too can all vouch for his beer drinking prowess. He plays pretty good cards too.

Speaking of Ian, I owe him one and a half apologies, one for calling him Ahyan instead of Eean all afternoon (hopefully I self flagellated appropriately each time) and half for that awful call I made on the last hand. I honestly put you on JJ or TT. I should explain for the benefit of those who weren’t there.

We were only going to play for another half hour. Lynett was short stacked and under the gun. She peeked at her cards and pushed her whole $16.50 stack right away. I took a look and saw AcQc. Now I know I’m supposed to push too and isolate, but I just called. What can I say...I’m a donkey. As soon as I called, Ian pushed all in for about $30. I called and had Ian covered plus about $10 so all three of us were pretty short stacked. We all flipped our cards over and Lynett had KQ off, and Ian turned over AsKs. At least Lynett and Ian played it right. The Q on the turn was my miracle two outer and wrapped up the game a half hour early for Ian and Lynett. I knew it was coming...really I did!

For the last half hour our number was reduced to four so the play got pretty loose. Chris made a couple VERY generous donations to my stack and I finished up $10 for the day. I managed to thwart Dave’s master plan (hah! Razz). Dave nearly tripled his money, Christian lost a little, and Chris was up about $50.

Much fun was had (goes without saying since we were playing poker, eh?) and my next game will be in two weeks. The results of my e-mail question are in and 6:00 PM looks like a pretty popular start time, so the May 10th, $1/$2 game will start at 6:00 unless I get a bunch of people e-mailing me saying “I would be there if only it was at 2:00.” Just sayin...

Until then, good luck everyone.

Don

korkskrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Stallion Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:56 am

Great report! Sounds like a blast. I'll have to try to make on of these some time.
Stallion
Stallion

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWdA Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:01 am

Sounds like it was fun! Also for the record I think there is already a game scheduled for the 10th that a lot of people here are going too (I am sure you are welcome too). Just letting you know that I can't make it because if I do make it to a game that day I am already planning on the other. I will have to make it to one of your games some time. Sounds like a blast!
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

https://pokerincolorado.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  idh78 Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:02 am

I think the shove was for $11.50 and my reshove was for ~$45 total.....either way it was inevitable the old 2 outer was going to hit on the turn....that's just how I run....from first to worst in five cards or less Very Happy

but I had a great time nonetheless... cheers
idh78
idh78

Back to top Go down

Post  Stallion Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:49 am

idh78 wrote:I think the shove was for $11.50 and my reshove was for ~$45 total.....either way it was inevitable the old 2 outer was going to hit on the turn....that's just how I run....from first to worst in five cards or less Very Happy

You're one of the few people that I know that's actually drawing dead when you get all the chips in the middle as a favorite. Laughing
Stallion
Stallion

Back to top Go down

Post  korkskrew Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:17 pm

idh78 wrote:I think the shove was for $11.50 and my reshove was for ~$45 total.....either way it was inevitable the old 2 outer was going to hit on the turn....that's just how I run....from first to worst in five cards or less Very Happy

Either way, I played it like a donk supreme. Values were changed... for artistic reasons... *shrug*

Sorry for the overlap with your game Powda, but I don't think it's a big deal right now. Our invitation lists don't overlap a lot [yet]. FWIW, my game is always on the second Saturday of each month. April was "special" in much the same way that kid on the bus wearing a helmet is "special".

korkskrew

Back to top Go down

Post  korkskrew Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:07 pm

dexman1349 wrote:Edit: What kind of dealer's choice are you talking about? Pass the trash, follow the queen, and other random games or is it like the other dealer's choice game here with HORSE and 2-7 triple draw?
We don't have any explicit restrictions on what game is called, but we do have a lot of chicken shit players who will sit out of a game they haven't played before.

As for me, if it isn't baseball or something equally convoluted, I'm in.

korkskrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Mondogarage Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:12 pm

As I live in Longmont, odds are high I'll RSVP for this some day. Surprised

As I'm leaving town for four weeks on business soon, it ain't gonna be May or June. No
Mondogarage
Mondogarage

http://mondogarage.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWdA Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:53 pm

korkskrew wrote:

Sorry for the overlap with your game Powda, but I don't think it's a big deal right now. Our invitation lists don't overlap a lot [yet]. FWIW, my game is always on the second Saturday of each month. April was "special" in much the same way that kid on the bus wearing a helmet is "special".
Oh no problem, it doesn't overlap with any game of mine I just know that milehighpoker.com is having a game that seems to draw quite a few regualrs on that same day. Just giving some heads up! I am sure you knew about that game anyway.
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

https://pokerincolorado.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  korkskrew Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:29 pm

PoWdA wrote:I just know that milehighpoker.com is having a game that seems to draw quite a few regualrs on that same day. Just giving some heads up! I am sure you knew about that game anyway.
Ah yes, that is a common confilct that is usually not very much of an issue given the significant geographical separation. Plus, that's a tourney and I only do cash games.

No worries mate!

korkskrew

Back to top Go down

Post  idh78 Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:02 pm

korkskrew wrote:
PoWdA wrote:I just know that milehighpoker.com is having a game that seems to draw quite a few regualrs on that same day. Just giving some heads up! I am sure you knew about that game anyway.
Ah yes, that is a common confilct that is usually not very much of an issue given the significant geographical separation. Plus, that's a tourney and I only do cash games.

No worries mate!

Regardless of distance I would much prefer cash....but I don't have the bankroll for $1/$2 NL at the moment.
idh78
idh78

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down