Poker In Colorado
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible mis-play? You decide, post your comments

5 posters

Go down

Possible mis-play?  You decide, post your comments Empty Possible mis-play? You decide, post your comments

Post  Scrupboy Mon May 05, 2008 4:08 pm

The scenario:
Playing in the $80 noon tournament at Golden Gates. It's round 6, blinds are 500/1000 and I'm barely the table chip leader with about 18,000 chips. I am 2 behind the button and UTG raises to 3000. He's been pretty solid so I put him on a good starting hand and he has about 17,000 chips. MP player raises all-in to 7500 (he's been pretty loose and I put him on pretty much Ax). Action comes to me and I look down at AK off suit. What do you do?

My thoughts and action:
My initial thought is to go all-in and isolate, giving me pretty good odds of beating the loose player all-in call. I have no problem getting my chips in with AK against this player. The problem I have is that UTG has not raised very much and IMO would only raise under the gun with a decent hand. As I ponder, it appears he is itching to call and I can't get a good enough read as to whether he would call my all-in. I went through scenarios in my head for a good minute and a half before finally mucking. My thought is if UTG has a monster AA, KK I will be drawing very thin and he will insta-call my all-in. Then if I just call with 40% of my chips and UTG goes all-in I would be committed and might as well went all-in preflop. While sitting on a healthy, better then average stack, I decide that folding does not risk the chips I have built and I can choose a better situation to risk most of my chips. The deciding factor is the UTG standard raise that made me lay down. I am usually one to get it all in with AA, KK, or AK but AK does not look as good to a raise and re-raise.

The result:
UTG hesitates when all fold to him, to where I finally realize I made the wrong decision. He eventually calls stating that it's only 4.5k more into a 15k pot (which is 3-1 pot odds) and tables J-10 of hearts. WTF? Then MP player tables A-10. Damn, I curse my lay down when the flop bricks out for both of them and the A hits the turn. I would have stacked the MP player and UTG would most likely not have called if I move in PF. Oh well. I still feel justified in my lay down. What do you think?
Scrupboy
Scrupboy

http://pokerzerotohero.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Possible mis-play?  You decide, post your comments Empty Re: Possible mis-play? You decide, post your comments

Post  Stallion Mon May 05, 2008 4:18 pm

I think a lot of this depends on your read of UTG. If you've got a decent player there his range is likely pretty tight for a raise from this position. Not a terrible fold IMO, but I probably still iso-jam here and pray for a suckout when he tables AA or KK.
Stallion
Stallion

Back to top Go down

Possible mis-play?  You decide, post your comments Empty Re: Possible mis-play? You decide, post your comments

Post  dexman1349 Mon May 05, 2008 4:29 pm

Without even looking at the read for the UTG player, my first thought was All-in or fold. If I think I can isolate against the MP, then I raise. I really don't like playing a multi-way pot for all of my chips with AK preflop, unless I'm the short stack.

I think you did the right play. You should always look at it this way: you lived to see another flop without taking a major hit. You had nothing invested in the pot, so the only chips you technically lost were the ones you didn't have in your stack to begin with.
dexman1349
dexman1349
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  korkskrew Mon May 05, 2008 6:24 pm

I don't see this as a mis-play, but a mis-read. Given your read on UTG, you made the right play.

The mis-read is what cost you big here. If I were in your position, I would be thinking about why I read him the way I did and how I might have read him differently. Maybe he looked impatient because he had been getting a lot of crap hands and raised out of frustration?

I think focusing on the read here (rather than the play) is the opportunity to improve.

korkskrew

http://www.milehighpoker.com/DON/

Back to top Go down

Post  idh78 Mon May 05, 2008 7:01 pm

i am going to have to disagree just based on the fact that these tournies have no play at the end...and if you want to win you need all the chips you can get....so even if it ends up being the hand that busts you i will always favor the aggressive play in these....if you were 60 big blinds deep this is an easy smooth call or fold.....but you simply HAVE to accumulate chips....just squeaking into the money is worthless because of the vig
idh78
idh78

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrupboy Wed May 07, 2008 11:14 am

idh78 wrote:i am going to have to disagree just based on the fact that these tournies have no play at the end...and if you want to win you need all the chips you can get....so even if it ends up being the hand that busts you i will always favor the aggressive play in these....if you were 60 big blinds deep this is an easy smooth call or fold.....but you simply HAVE to accumulate chips....just squeaking into the money is worthless because of the vig
I agree with the aggressive play. The amount of chips I had in play really made a big difference. If I am short stacked, I push. If I have any stack below average, I push. Unfortunately, I had the table lead and felt that I should not tangle with second in chips (UTG) which eventually led to my fold. ...but what do I know, I eventually busted out and I believe the aggro guy that shoved w/ AJ was still in. Suspect
Scrupboy
Scrupboy

http://pokerzerotohero.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  idh78 Wed May 07, 2008 12:24 pm

Scrupboy wrote:
I agree with the aggressive play. The amount of chips I had in play really made a big difference. If I am short stacked, I push. If I have any stack below average, I push.

I guess my point was (I posted this after a few beers before the Rockies game on Monday) that these tournies are total crapshoots at the end....honestly all the play is gone in them after the first hour and a half for 90% of the field....even if you are chipleader at your table you have to realize that the blinds are going to be so big at the final table you and everyone else will be playing strictly pre-flop poker...

so that's why I feel you have to loosen up your game in these things....with only 18BB you aren't in shove or fold mode yet, but you can't be calling many raises either...
idh78
idh78

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down