Poker In Colorado
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More Hold em Excellence - Lou Kreiger (Review)

3 posters

Go down

More Hold em Excellence - Lou Kreiger (Review) Empty More Hold em Excellence - Lou Kreiger (Review)

Post  PoWdA Thu May 15, 2008 10:49 am

I read this book years ago but figured that since I enjoyed it so much, it deserved a good review. This book is meant to cover medium stakes limit hold em and does so very well. This book is very specific and includes a ton of information. Kreiger goes hand by hand explaining how to play all of the big hands in every position before, on, and after the flop. He also goes into other topics important to the begining player such as the lifestyle, the math and other important topics. This is one of the most complete poker books I have ever read.

For the beginners (and old pros that might need to brush up) Lou goes hand for hand descibing how to play all of the big hands in all of the different positions. This section is great for the beginner and great for the old player doing a refresher. Other than hand by hand analasys Lou also includes an easy to read colorful chart inside the back cover on which hands are playable in which position. It is great for quick refrence for the new player! Once you combine all of the hand by hand advice included in the book with the chart inside the back cover this book really becomes a great tool to learn to play hold em right!* Lou also goes onto such topics as simple math, tilt, and wether or not to "go pro" with his go pro or not test. There is much more to this book than what hand to play in what position.

I highly reccomend this book to the begining limit hold em player. I believe in solid foundations for new poker players and this book has it all covered. I think even the seasoned veteran could read this book and get back to the roots of their strong play as Kreiger writes a great book on how to play hold em right. Understand that this book is not a super quick read. It can be tedious at times but espescially for the beginner the information contained in this book is priceless.

I have refrenced this book for years and will continue to refrence it for years, and I am sure you will too!

* Lou Kreiger is also co-author of the "Hold em for Dummies" books and I once bought a pocket sized version as a joke for a poker playing buddy. He ended up not thinking the gag gift was that funny so I kept it. The package included the pocket sized book (which has been years of fun breaking it out at the table) and a deck of cards that corrosponds with the advice in the book, much like Kreigers chart in this book. A simple "can play this hand in this position and can't play it in this position" chart on every card to help the beginner learn to play. Very clever. Lou might be the author of "Hold em for Dummies" but I assure you his books are spot on with great advice!
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

https://pokerincolorado.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

More Hold em Excellence - Lou Kreiger (Review) Empty Re: More Hold em Excellence - Lou Kreiger (Review)

Post  Stallion Thu May 15, 2008 11:01 am

I would rather poke my eye out with a fork than read a book on limit hold 'em. There's a reason that people playing online limit are concerned about bots - it's because it's such a mechanical game. Yuck.

Good review though Very Happy
Stallion
Stallion

Back to top Go down

More Hold em Excellence - Lou Kreiger (Review) Empty Re: More Hold em Excellence - Lou Kreiger (Review)

Post  idh78 Thu May 15, 2008 11:06 am

does it teach you how to go runner runner in a 2-5 spread limit game?
idh78
idh78

Back to top Go down

Post  Stallion Thu May 15, 2008 11:11 am

idh78 wrote:does it teach you how to go runner runner in a 2-5 spread limit game?

If so I'll read it.

Also, if you play limit you should definitely read Theory of Poker by Sklansky. It's not an easy read and not great for the beginner, but an excellent book.
Stallion
Stallion

Back to top Go down

Post  idh78 Thu May 15, 2008 11:18 am

Where's Son?....I'm sure step 1. in the guide to winning up the hill is to become Asian.

Edit: or Jamal. Very Happy
idh78
idh78

Back to top Go down

Post  idh78 Thu May 15, 2008 11:19 am

Stallion wrote:
idh78 wrote:does it teach you how to go runner runner in a 2-5 spread limit game?

If so I'll read it.

Also, if you play limit you should definitely read Theory of Poker by Sklansky. It's not an easy read and not great for the beginner, but an excellent book.

are you implying that I still play like a beginner???
idh78
idh78

Back to top Go down

Post  Stallion Thu May 15, 2008 12:06 pm

idh78 wrote:
Stallion wrote:

If so I'll read it.

are you implying that I still play like a beginner???

No sir. You have much more sophisticated ways of bleeding off chips than any beginner I've ever seen. It takes years of practice to learn to dump chips that effectively.
Stallion
Stallion

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWdA Thu May 15, 2008 1:09 pm

Very Happy

And yeah dave TOP is an awesome book, easily one of the best poker books ever written. I don't hink I am worthy of reviewing it (although I do own it).
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  idh78 Thu May 15, 2008 1:12 pm

PoWdA wrote:Very Happy

And yeah dave TOP is an awesome book, easily one of the best poker books ever written. I don't hink I am worthy of reviewing it (although I do own it).

I'm glad you weren't reffering to the Tao of Poker....that thing is a piece of garbage....it's much more effective to throw cards, chips, chairs, pull a knife on the other player, etc...when suffering from a bad beat.
idh78
idh78

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWdA Thu May 15, 2008 1:15 pm

idh78 wrote:
PoWdA wrote:Very Happy

I'm glad you weren't reffering to the Tao of Poker....that thing is a piece of garbage....it's much more effective to throw cards, chips, chairs, pull a knife on the other player, etc...when suffering from a bad beat.
yeah keith uses the pull a knife method and it seems to work for him.... I know you throw cards...

I generally gamble the rent money, keep a straight face at the table, and then go home and cry huddled up in a corner in the shower while I chew gum and brush my teeth.

It works for me!
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down