flopped boat, how would you play it?

Go down

flopped boat, how would you play it? Empty flopped boat, how would you play it?

Post  dexman1349 on Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:19 pm

Playing at Pogue's last night with pseudo I got this hand:

I'm UTG sitting on about 3500 chips, blinds are 50/100 and I'm dealt pocket Jacks (I hate jacks!)

I raise to 300, 2 players fold, villan calls (has about 3200 chips) at the cut-off, then the rest of the table folds.

Flop comes out J-8-8.

Now what?

How it ended up going down:
I check, villan bets 300, I think about it for a minute then call
Turn is a 9
I check, villan again bets 300, I really pause on this one, scratch my head, ask him "so you got an 8 or jack?", then finally call
River is a king
I check again, villan bets 300, I insta raise to 900, he re-raises to 1500, I push all-in, he calls.
We wait a minute while the dealer starts counting out the chips to keep our bets in order because we bet back and forth faster than we were able to put the chips out. I flip over my pocket Jacks to show the flopped boat, villan stacks his two cards and only shows me an 8, then mucks his hand.

I don't think I played it poorly, but I'm curious as to how you guys might have tackled this one.
dexman1349
dexman1349
Admin

Back to top Go down

flopped boat, how would you play it? Empty Re: flopped boat, how would you play it?

Post  pseudoswede on Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:36 pm

I think he was banking on you having pocket or AK/AQ/AJ with your PF raise. Obviously with trips, there was no way he was going to let go of that.
pseudoswede
pseudoswede

Back to top Go down

flopped boat, how would you play it? Empty Re: flopped boat, how would you play it?

Post  Stallion on Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:37 pm

It's hard to bet there since you've got the deck crippled.

However, my action is generally going to depend on how I've been playing at the table. If I have been c-betting religiously then I'm c-betting here even though it's not likely that I'll get called. A check here may look suspicious if I've been following up on my pf raises. As played it worked out perfectly. There's nothing wrong with letting people try to catch up when you hit a flop that hard. It's generally pretty hard to get any action in a case like this. Nice hand.
Stallion
Stallion

Back to top Go down

Post  Steelerz99 on Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:07 pm

I think you played it well. The fact you checked and STILL had action betting into you is a dream AND that he bet his trips so hard is baffling to me since you re-raised to 900 immediately after his 300$. My thinking is he had A8 and thought even if you had an 8 he had you outkicked. A paired board in that instance would send out a few flags. In any case, flopping a boat and having a guy sitting on trips betting into you is about the best scenario you could have had (besides a flush Very Happy ) .
Steelerz99
Steelerz99

Back to top Go down

Post  Wetdog on Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:20 pm

First of all, I generally bet any high pocket pair short of aces preflop very heavily, like around 5-6x BB. The reason is to drive out the Ax limpers if I can and make them pay heavily to play that trash. Next, I tend to have a rather passive style if I flop a monster like that. The paired board generally kills action, so I wait for the turn to get action if someone catches up. It's nice that you got action on the flop. So, I like the way you played it and can't disagree with any part of it.
Wetdog
Wetdog

Location : Circling the drain, dragging everything I can reach with me

http://wetdogpoker.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWdA on Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:48 pm

Pre-flop was fine.

I probly go for the c/r on the turn and I almost never c/r the river.

Stop hating jacks.

nh.
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

https://pokerincolorado.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum