Poker In Colorado
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HPT March 09 thread

3 posters

Go down

HPT March 09 thread Empty HPT March 09 thread

Post  PoWdA Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:20 am

I am going up on Monday to play some $115 sat's and depending on my results I may play on Tuesday as well. Anyone else playing? I think yesterday was the first day of sat's.
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

https://pokerincolorado.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

HPT March 09 thread Empty Re: HPT March 09 thread

Post  PoWdA Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:53 am

So I played yesterday. I played 2 $115's (won one), played a few hours of Omaha, and got taken out of a $70 Gilpin Tourney near the FT bubble by a shitty call.

The $115's are ridiculous. Ten minute blind rounds, 1500 in chips, and 3 places are paid. The first one I went out like 5th. Only interesting thing about this tourney was that Ron Dayne (sp?) a Denver Bronco was at my table. I busted before him. There really is no play in these things. I mean you are already in push and pray mode 30 minutes in. It is sick. I was simply card dead in the first 115. The second one I won getting a $340 seat to an HPT Main Event Qualifier. This satellite was a crap shoot like every other one but this table was interesting. Two to my left was Reggie Rivers. I busted him out in like 8th. I also busted the guy that took like 3rd in the first Blackhawk HPT event. The guy with the jewel encrusted cat card protector and armband Ipod thingy. Now he has MP3 playing sunglasses... Never seen dedicated MP3 playing sunglasses before. This is at least the third tim I have played the guy. He is decent solid. Not a bad player at all. I busted him on the bubble to get a seat. Glad that is over. Those HPT satellites have a ridiculous structure. My initial plan was to go up and play as many $115's as I could fit into one day but winning one was ridiculous enough. After getting a seat I decided to stay away from the satellites. They are just too fast. I mean you sit down planning on getting lucky... I never get lucky so I decided to play some Omaha hi/lo ring.

The 5/5 game is super soft. Reggie had sat at this table and was spewing chips. I scooped a nice $80 pot off of him soon after sitting down. It is a simple game. $5 blind, $5 bets on all streets. I had one hand come up that pissed me off. I was killing the game, I had sat down with $100 and was up to around $260 when this hand came up. I am in mid-late position. 3 limper's. I look down and see As2sKd3c. Pretty. I raise and still get like 3 callers behind plus the SB and BB call as well as the limper's. We see a flop 8 handed. Flop comes down 4s 9h Kc. Not the best flop but the turn can give me a ton of outs. It is checked to me and I check and of course, Reggie bets. I think all but the Sb call this bet. The turn is the 5s. At this point I have a wheel draw, a nut low draw that cannot be counterfeited, and the nut flush draw. It is bet in early position and called by two players and I raise. It goes around and nobody folds. The river is the 9s. It is bet and raised in front of me. I silently muck my beaten flush draw and it ends up capped on the river 4 ways. I am beaten by two people who have full houses. That pot was fucking huge and some guy scooped it going runner runner with 95xx. Whatevs. I play a few more pots and end this game up about $120.

After playing the HPT satellites I decided that a tourney with 20 minute blind levels sounded like a fucking WSOP structure so I headed to the Gilpin around 6:30 as the Gates is only hosting HPT satellites today, no regular tourneys until the HPT leaves town. I get up there just in time to buy into a $70 Freeze. This tourney actually had a surprisingly good structure. only 20 minute rounds but you start with 10,000 in chips, the blinds start at 25/50 and there are no antes. I was very surprised at the structure as mote tourneys up the hill that start with 10k or more stacks also start the blinds at like 100/200 and include antes. This tourney had some play to it. I sit down and am immediately taken back by the horrific play at my table. I mean people jamming 10k stacks into $500 pots with middle pair and getting called by bottom pair bad. One lady at our table would ask me every single time it was her turn what a chip was worth and then throw it in the pot. After about the 10th time of asking me what a chip was worth and then throwing it in the pot I said "ya know if you8 are just going to throw it in anyway you don't have to ask how much it is worth." She stopped asking and proceeded to throw 5k chips into $200 pots again and again. We started with 10k in chips, this lady had nearly 50k by the first break. SOOOOO sick.

Eventually her chips went away. About 3 hours in this girl (sfhawt) got all her stack (she was very "stacked" btw Smile) in against this lady and was now CL with like 60k and the spewtard was gone. At this point I had around 12k. Just staying afloat but not feeling to pressured yet. The table was actually just nice to sit at. I have known the dealer Tom for years. I actually used to deal to him at bar games years ago when he was learning to play poker. Now he is dealing to me. We chatted a lot as they were rotating him and 2 other dealers so he dealt my table a lot. Also the hottie 2 to my right and I were poking fun at some guy who mentioned that he thought Obama's special Olympics joke was awful. I told him that I think the exact opposite and he was not liking it Smile There were also a few other cool people at the table. It was a good table to be at other than my cards... At about 4 hours in I pick up ATs. Blinds are at 800/1600 no ante and I am in the SB and have 12k in chips. The UTG player, a solid player, min raised and I jam. He eventually calls and shows KJs. What a shit call but whatever. The river brings a king and I am out. All you can do is get it in best right?

Anyway that was my first day of HPT qualifiers. Next Monday is $340 time. A lot of chips and a great structure. I can't wait!

9wheel

12 to get half (or a quarter)
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

https://pokerincolorado.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  snowocean Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:22 pm

yeah last time hpt was in town i played the 85$ sat and can confirm the structure was the worse i have ever seen.
snowocean
snowocean

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrupboy Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:12 am

Sounds like my trip up there last Satruday, Danny! Well done on winning one of these crazy push fests.

I played last Saturday on the first day of the HPT qualifiers. Got there at 9AM just planning to play the $340 qulifier at noon. I ask how many are on the list and they state 36 meaning there are still over 100 seats. I decide to buy into a $115 qualifier and buy straight into the $340 afterwards. While waiting for my qualifier I lose $80 in live action. Then I get my seat and bust out in 5th with the horrible structure. You really do have to get lucky and just bully yourself around early to just gain chips. After busting, I get in line for the $340 qualifier and now the line is pratically wrapped around the building. Long story short, they sell out of all 143 seats before I can buyin. Since I missed this one I decide to buy into another $115 at around 11:30. Big mistake, as they stopped all sats untill tables were free from the qualifier as to not take down their live action tables. I end up sitting around until 2:00 for my sat. It went well as the wait must have made most of the table impatient. I never went down in chips and slowly accumlated along with knocking out three players. Then one guy takes out three players with one hand. Then I take the bubble and we get paid. Took that $340 and went to The Gilpin and played the $100 3:00 and bust, then play the 60/60/60 and bust and leave with $200 left (mostly from live action between tourneys). Total bust, but I'll be up there either tonight for the 6:00 PM qualifier or tomorrow for either the 10 am or 6 pm qualifier.

One sick hand I thought I would mention while I was playing live at The Gilpin. UTG raises to 7 and I peek down at AJ in middle position and call, button also calls. Flop comes AJJ, UTG bets, I smooth call, button calls. Turn is a blank and UTG bets, I raise, button mucks, UTG raises, I reraise, he reraises and we cap it. Now I worry about pocket aces and decide I will just call the river. River brings a J and UTG checks in disgust. I bet and he throws his chip in and shows pocket aces. I show my AJ for quads and he immediately leaves the table. How sick is that! A one outer. Just glad I was on the right side of the cards.

Good luck if any of you are playing this week!
Scrupboy
Scrupboy

http://pokerzerotohero.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down