Poker In Colorado
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bodog $11 Turbo MTT last night

3 posters

Go down

Bodog $11 Turbo MTT last night Empty Bodog $11 Turbo MTT last night

Post  Mondogarage Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:24 pm

143 runners - ship the $429 first prize..........BOOM!

In the last three times I've played this event, I've taking 5th and 1st. Maybe there's something to these Bodog turbos that allows me to avoid some of the atrocious beats that pound me in the ass like every other event.

Final hand was fun, I'd flopped bottom two pair, and backdoor flush draw; villian flopped double gutshot, with higher backdoor flush draw...

Anyway, the night overall was emotionally brutal, yet still nicely profitable.
Mondogarage
Mondogarage

http://mondogarage.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Bodog $11 Turbo MTT last night Empty Re: Bodog $11 Turbo MTT last night

Post  PoWdA Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:43 pm

Nice work man.

May I suggest "Zen and the Art of Poker" by Paul Phillips? Maybe you can take some time off. Wether or not your cards are bad is debatable, but if you are on such tilt overall that a MTT win can't make you feel better than maybe some time off is in order.

<-- just lookin out for a brotha

*pound it*
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

https://pokerincolorado.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mondogarage Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:34 pm

Thanks for the recommendation...I'm going to score that off Amazon today, and read it, and hopefully even heed it.

I'm definitely taking the next week off. I don't know about longer than that. The ironic part is that I'm pretty sure I don't allow the tilt to affect my decision making during a hand. Rather, it's my explosive reactions that have caused me to break a few inanimate objects in a very childish and immature manner. I need to grow up, before I cause myself to have a stroke.

I was talking with a friend about it earlier today, and I realized that it's not any particular beat, but over the course of a given session where it seems like 80-90% of the hands that knock me out of tournaments on bubbles are hands that are obnoxiously and atrociously played by the villian...losing these kinds of hands early in tourneys essentially never affect me in this manner, because I'm not invested in the tourney at that point, and don't have my eyes on the prize...it's early, and literally *anything* can happen. This kind of action never even happens when I lose something like AA v KK (no matter if I have the A or the K), or some other big hand like flopped set v flopped 4-to-a-flush. Those hands piss me off, but there's nothing about the play leading to the beat that sickens me.

But those hands almost *never* are the hands that take me out of tourneys on the bubble. It's always the asshat who calls off 1/2 his good sized stack behind my 3-bet with some obnoxious crap like QTo, J8 soooted, or pocket threes, where I've shoved at a minimum JJ-AA or AQs. It's almost as if the field decides to play sooooo much worse against me on the bubble than at any other time during a tournament, and yet the field becomes inordinately more lucky.

None of that justifies my conduct whatsoever, nor is it meant to do so.

And it never affects me the first couple of times it happens per night...but what always seems to happen is, I'll end up playing about a dozen tourneys in a session, and by the 5th or 6th time it's happened in that fashion, I just can't take it any more. (I try to never play more than five tables at a time, but when I crash out of a tourney, if it's before 9:30, I'll usually try to fire up another one...it's not like I'm playing 12 tourneys at once.)

Again, none of that is meant to justify anything...I know I need help, and I don't want to have to quit playing, or take extended time away, because a) I'm still an overall profitable online player, if only semi-slightly and b) since my indie rock avocation is pretty much in the tank, I need *something* to keep me interested.
Mondogarage
Mondogarage

http://mondogarage.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrupboy Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:55 pm

Nice cash Mondo! Just remember... like the Denver Broncos say, "All that matters is the W!"

I understand your frustration and that is part of why I stopped playing online. My time was being so occupied with playing and seeing that many more hands made me take notice of the bad beats. By limiting my amount of playing and sticking to live games, my focus on the game is better. I was afraid of getting into a rut of just expecting to get 3 outed on the river or changing my play not based on odds, but based on my ability to avoid suck outs. Just my random thoughts on the game.

I still think that playing in the HPT would work for you. It's nice to get to a live game after the frustration of online poker. Besides, you could relax a little with the slowness of the game (compared to online) and perhaps take down 200k in the process.
Scrupboy
Scrupboy

http://pokerzerotohero.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down