Poker In Colorado
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Call the Waaambulance

4 posters

Go down

Call the Waaambulance Empty Call the Waaambulance

Post  Wetdog Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:56 pm

So, you've probably read my HPT mini trip report. This one is about a particular hand. It's called Nines. The German Virgin. If I never play against that hand again it will be too soon.

Saturday I was playing in the Aces and Eights quarterly tournament at Hicc Ups II. Dale Armstrong, the owner of the 3 Hicc Ups bars, was kind enough to, since there were 150+ people who wouldn't be in his bar if it weren't for this event, raise the price of pitchers from $5 to $9. You could get them at the regular price if you purchased for $15 a wristband. That also made you eligible for the buffet of food that was heavily spiced with pepper. Embarassed I drank pepsi which was $3 with free refills. But enough of that rant. That's not the purpose of this post.

So, after 7 hours, I make the final table. The blinds were 10K-20K to start, I had 160K. I try a steal early on in MP for 60K with QJo and get called by an all in of 40K. All others fold and the all in shows JJ. I don't improve so I'm now down to 120K. I eventually pay the blinds and end up with 85K after calling an all in from my BB for 25K total.

Blinds are now 20K-40K. On my BB the gal on my left goes all in, guy way over on my right goes all in (they have the same amount) I look down and find QQ, so I'm all in as well. She flips JJ, he shows 99 and I slam my QQ. Flop and turn look good but a 7 gives 99 a ten high straight. That give me 38 outs (any J (2), 9 (2) or 7 (4) kill me) to take the main pot down for a stack of 255K. River is ...

A fucking seven! The lowest fucking hand, goat-fucking NINES, takes it down. I hate nines. It's the lowest card in a pinochle deck. What fucking good are they? They beat my aces in the HPT, they beat my queens in this thing. Plus they beat me twice after that online. If any of you ever ask if you should play them, I'm afraid we won't be friends after I tell you what to do with them.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So anyway, last night I'm playing a ring game on full tilt on a really fishy pot limit table. I didn't know these still existed. I have QQ in LP and, after a bunch of limpers, I raise pot. Tuna limper calls. Flop is 999. Tuna casserole checks, I bet my full house half the pot, tuna calls. Turn is NINE! I figure this sonuvabitch has to have an ace. Albacore checks, I wince and bet half the pot again, bluefin calls. I am an emotional wreck. River is I don't know what anymore. Skipjack checks and I just couldn't bring myself to bet anymore, so I check behind. Thunnus obesus shows 66. WTF? Did I win? I won! I fully expected to see the 9 of swords or something from villain.

I still hate nines.
Wetdog
Wetdog

Location : Circling the drain, dragging everything I can reach with me

http://wetdogpoker.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Call the Waaambulance Empty Re: Call the Waaambulance

Post  Mondogarage Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:30 pm

Dammit, just what I needed -- confirmation I should have played my 99 in the penultimate $200k hand last night. affraid

Sorry to hear about the abuse your junk's taken.

+1 for free refills if a bar owner's going to pull that game.

Some of the bars in bar poker really like to whine about no one spending money in their bar, but when they double the cost of thier drinks for you, or charge you $15 for you just to have the right to pay their normal price for drinks, that is seriously fucked up.
Mondogarage
Mondogarage

http://mondogarage.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrupboy Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:51 pm

Man, that sucks WetDog! Just throw those damn 9's away! Remember my post in this section called cooler when the 1 outer 9 came on the river? So sick.

Speaking of bar games. A friend of mine turned me onto The Penalty Box near Wadsworth and Jewell. They give away $100 4 nights a week to the winner. I've played three times and made the final table three times only to get busted in 8th, 6th, and 4th. You can also get a pop for $1.25 with free refills. The place is kind of a dive and it's a drinking bar so expect a few drunks and a little rowdiness, but overall a good time. I seem to know everyone as it's the old DPT crowd I used to deal to. I believe it's Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday. I seem to recall some people not even drinking, just playing poker and John (HPT guy) frequents there.
Scrupboy
Scrupboy

http://pokerzerotohero.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mondogarage Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:59 pm

That reminds me, I'll likely be at Crown Lanes this Friday, willing and able to donk out really early since Breezy Porticos are playing their last ever show, and I wouldn't miss that for the world...
Mondogarage
Mondogarage

http://mondogarage.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  idh78 Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:25 pm

9's suck in Euchre as well
idh78
idh78

Back to top Go down

Post  Wetdog Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:27 pm