Poker In Colorado
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taking Breaks

4 posters

Go down

Taking Breaks Empty Taking Breaks

Post  snowocean Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:57 am

Was wondering what everyone thought about taking breaks from poker. How does it affect your play when you come back from a break? I recently gave myself a self-imposed ban from pokerstars for a week for the first time in my entire life. I don't particularly log a lot of hours per week(probably average around 4), but I play at least 4 days a week.....usually 5 or 6 and have been for the past 14 months or so. Tomorrow my ban gets lifted, and I feel like its been an eternity since I have played!

The other question I had was about the desire to play when up/down. It seems whenever I am playing/running bad all I want to do is play more. I feel like my subconscious is telling me I have to prove myself which makes me burn to play. If I am running/playing good my desire to play goes way down for some reason. Its almost like I know things can't go this well for too long and I am waiting/dreading for variance to catch up and hit a losing streak.

I know this is probably not be a topic most people are interested in, but I wanted to get people's thoughts.
snowocean
snowocean

Back to top Go down

Taking Breaks Empty Re: Taking Breaks

Post  idh78 Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:51 am

I haven't played but twice in the past 2 months...and last time it was for $5...not really missing it as much as I thought I would.....
idh78
idh78

Back to top Go down

Post  Steelerz99 Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:37 am

I tend to take breaks when I forget to play my game. Everyone has to be flexible at some point due to weird play etc, but when I hit a rut I cool off for a bit. Sometimes it happens after a big pot where I let it get away or a bad beat that I could have won w/better betting strategy. A week or two away from it I find I am in much better shape. I tend to forget hands and move on. Poker is one of those games where bad play can really kick the shit out of you. Think of it. How many "sports" reward bad play?? Granted I know "donkey's" don't see a lot of glory in the end, but it still sucks to see someone take down a tourny calling a 6x raise pre flop on a full table w/K 4 off suit (yea, I got burnt hard on that one-JJ). I digress.... Taking time off is always a plus for me. When I do I usually win some kind of tourny or have a nice cashout on the tables within a few days of returning.
Steelerz99
Steelerz99

Back to top Go down

Post  Mondogarage Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:03 pm

I tend to take breaks right after shattering a wireless mouse. I played last night for the first time in three weeks, after thinking I was in a good headspace. I suppose I am, because I emotionally survived a complete assraping. Going out on the first hand of two tourneys simultaneously (one with broadway to flopped quads).

Anyway, I and my new mouse survived the night.
Mondogarage
Mondogarage

http://mondogarage.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum