Poker In Colorado
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So who here plays other games?

+3
Mondogarage
Wetdog
PoWdA
7 posters

Go down

So who here plays other games? Empty So who here plays other games?

Post  PoWdA Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:24 pm

I play a lot of HORSE and Triple Draw. I am not a huge fan of Hold em. So who else here likes the other games poker has to offer and isn't stuck playing only hold em? It is one of my dreams to get a 2-7 triple draw home game going sometime in the future.... Anyone else even play?
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

https://pokerincolorado.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

So who here plays other games? Empty I'm kinda tired of holdem

Post  Wetdog Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:57 am

I like the variety horse gives. I like the stud games best, suck at O8. 2-7TD is too swingy for me.
Wetdog
Wetdog

Location : Circling the drain, dragging everything I can reach with me

http://wetdogpoker.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

So who here plays other games? Empty Re: So who here plays other games?

Post  PoWdA Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:07 pm

Yeah I don't play much hold em anymore either. Its good to see other people playing different games.
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mondogarage Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:21 am

I enjoy 2-7 Triple Draw, and was playing .50-1.00 limit at Stars for a while. Slightly profitable, but nothing to speak of. Fun game.
Mondogarage
Mondogarage

http://mondogarage.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWdA Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:06 am

Mondogarage wrote:I enjoy 2-7 Triple Draw, and was playing .50-1.00 limit at Stars for a while. Slightly profitable, but nothing to speak of. Fun game.
Yeah I play that game daily... Sometimes I play higher but the bankroll has been a little light lately. I thought I saw you there maybe a month ago too but when I tried to chat I got no reply.
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dexman1349 Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:33 am

I've been trying to play Horse a little more often lately.

For the longest time all I would play was NLHE tourneys, but recently I've been working on my LimitHE and Omaha games too.
dexman1349
dexman1349
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWdA Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:59 am

dexman1349 wrote:I've been trying to play Horse a little more often lately.

For the longest time all I would play was NLHE tourneys, but recently I've been working on my Limit HE and Omaha games too.
thats good keith. I recomend learing all of the HORSE games one at a time though. HORSE is a collaboration of games not just one. Omaha hi/lo is a good one to concentrate on as it is popular and there is plenty of info out there on the game. It is really hard for me to say what exactly i play the most of. Here are the games I play and a summary of each game and how much I like it/play it:

Triple Draw - I have been playing this game for about 3 years now which makes it the newest game I have learned to paly other than 5 card draw. I suggest all learn this game and I promise if you post the Hand histories I can help you become a pretty decent palyer. It is a very fun action game. I see a lot of players complain about the swings when really, if you learn enough about the game, it is pretty easy to keep those swings on the upside as there are MANY MANY MANY horrible players that sit at this game time and time again. This is my favorite single form of poker.

HORSE - If triple draw was spread as the mix in this game I would most likeley play nothing else. I enjoy the mix of games as opposed to grinding out hours and hours of the same game. It keeps you on your toes and so many players sit in HORSE games with little to no experience in certain games which gives me a beg advantage having taken the time to learn each of these games pretty well over time. Sure I have some stronger games than others but in general I tend to be good enough where there are weaknesses and excell where others fall short. I have won a the $33 HORSE on stars twice and have cashed in the WCOOP HORSE event as well but most of my time playing HORSE has been spent playing cash games, those are just a few notable sessions

Limit Hold em - Probobly my very best game. I have played way more limit hold em than NL or any other game and I enjoy the game but am always looking for variety.

Omaha Hi/Lo - This game has always been real easy for me to make money in. I have also been playing for quite some time. I love O/8.

NL Hold em - Um yeah. I have read 10 books on it, read more everyday, I have been playing more lately as I have decided to play more tournies than cash games and for tournies NL hold em is king. I play more than i would like too honestly. If there were more tournies with large fields and big prizes i would be playing them but I am making a transition from cash games and the grind to tourneys and i am hoping to crack one open some time soon!

Razz - This game was a favorite of mine for years (I even played it in the WSOP and plan on it again). This is the simplest game in traditional 5 card poker but the mistakes people make in this game are unbelieveable. One of my best games it just has been on the backburner as I have been leaning more toward tourneys lately than ring games and RAZZ tournies are generally pretty rare.

5 Card Draw Hi - I actually just recently started playing Limit 5 card on stars after getting bored, seeing a Limit 5 Card Draw tourney, entering it, taking 3rd and making decent profit. I then sat at the cash tables for a while and had people throwing money at me. Using super simple strategies I have picked up on my own with no teaching in this game I have already started to turn very nice profits in this game. I suggest others try it! (my knowledge of other draw games (triple draw) is surely helping me here) Also I plan on playing this game without reading anything on it for quite some time. I have read so much on other games that I have about 10 million random thoughts floating around my head durign any decision. I kinda enjoy being a total donkey and sucking out on people sometimes tongue

Pot Limit Omaha Hi/Lo - meh, I am a limit poker player, I enjoy the action but I prefer structured Omaha 8, I can play the game though and had a few months where it was all I played.

Stud Hi/lo - I have actually spent months with this game, I understand it and play pretty well but I don't really like long drawn out sessions of it. I will play this game live but I get bored of it online so I don't play it much anymore unless it is part of a mixed game.

Stud - I like stud but this game is a huge exercise in patience and I don't have much time to paly these days or I am sure I would play more stud.

Pot Limit Omaha Hi - I can play the game and play it pretty decent, I just don't enjoy it as much as a lot of other people do. This is the only form of poker i would not play a WSOP event in if I had the money for it. There are just too many people who know too much about the game and i know when a game is not for me.

I will finish this post in a minute.. I just got off work early Very Happy
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Stallion Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:37 pm

I really enjoy HORSE. I have no clue how to play triple draw. Stud is my favorite game, but probably not my best anymore as it's hard to get anyone to play.
Stallion
Stallion

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWdA Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:31 am

Stallion wrote:I really enjoy HORSE. I have no clue how to play triple draw. Stud is my favorite game, but probably not my best anymore as it's hard to get anyone to play.
Yeah stud is rare live. Actually the only time I have played it live was in a HORSE gaem in vegas. you should try triple draw some time. If you need any pointers I will be sure to help.
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  idh78 Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:35 am

we got an 8 person $1/$2 HORSE game together about 5 weeks ago...and it was a blast....my favorite of the games is probably Razz...

I've never actually played triple draw...but there are a few of us who would be more than willing to give it a shot....I would also like to learn Badugi as well.
idh78
idh78

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWdA Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:39 am

idh78 wrote:we got an 8 person $1/$2 HORSE game together about 5 weeks ago...and it was a blast....my favorite of the games is probably Razz...

I've never actually played triple draw...but there are a few of us who would be more than willing to give it a shot....I would also like to learn Badugi as well.
That sounds awesome! I am actually planning on hosting a $1/$2 HORSE game in a month or two but the games will be chioce (rather than in a fixed rotation) and Triple Draw will also be an option. That game sounds like it was fun.
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  idh78 Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:59 pm

PoWdA wrote:
idh78 wrote:we got an 8 person $1/$2 HORSE game together about 5 weeks ago...and it was a blast....my favorite of the games is probably Razz...

That sounds awesome! I am actually planning on hosting a $1/$2 HORSE game in a month or two but the games will be chioce (rather than in a fixed rotation) and Triple Draw will also be an option. That game sounds like it was fun.

It really was....the best part was that even at modest stakes, I felt everyone honestly tried to play their best game....granted some were a little inexperienced in the stud based games....so there were many mistakes being made...but with that being said it was still far better play than a 2-5 luckfest up the hill..

our plan was to do this more regularly but so far game number two has yet to take place...
idh78
idh78

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWdA Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:21 pm

One reason for the stakes is that I want people to learn Triple Draw. It is an AWESOME game. Man I wish more people played...
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  idh78 Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:48 pm

PoWdA wrote:One reason for the stakes is that I want people to learn Triple Draw. It is an AWESOME game. Man I wish more people played...

$1/$2 limit is fine, especially when not everybody is comfortable with all of the games.....it won't take long to move them up if we have a good core group of regular players....
idh78
idh78

Back to top Go down

Post  idh78 Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:14 pm

PoWdA wrote:It is one of my dreams to get a 2-7 triple draw home game going sometime in the future.... Anyone else even play?

what is the max you can play 2-7 triple draw with? it can't be 8 or that would leave you only 12 cards to draw with...
idh78
idh78

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWdA Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:25 pm

idh78 wrote:
PoWdA wrote:It is one of my dreams to get a 2-7 triple draw home game going sometime in the future.... Anyone else even play?

what is the max you can play 2-7 triple draw with? it can't be 8 or that would leave you only 12 cards to draw with...
6 players max but to spread it 7 handed you have the button sit out and to spread it 8 handed you have the button and the cut-off sit out. I know it means certain people will never be in a pot together but it is worth it to spread the game.
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mondogarage Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:45 pm

It's been a while, but I seem to recall the tables on PokerStars were 6-max.
Mondogarage
Mondogarage

Back to top Go down

Post  Mondogarage Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:24 am

2-7 Triple Draw - $1.10 SNG last night on Stars...

I'm crushing the table, and get to heads up with a precise 5:1 chip lead. And lose. Ack. In about 10 hands.

I didn't realize the game was such high variance, but having 8-6 go down to 8-5, being dealt 2nd nuts only to have the other player get to the nuts...arg, thankfully it was only a $1.10, otherwise I'd have tilted.
Mondogarage
Mondogarage

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWdA Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:52 am

Mondogarage wrote:2-7 Triple Draw - $1.10 SNG last night on Stars...

I'm crushing the table, and get to heads up with a precise 5:1 chip lead. And lose. Ack. In about 10 hands.

I didn't realize the game was such high variance, but having 8-6 go down to 8-5, being dealt 2nd nuts only to have the other player get to the nuts...arg, thankfully it was only a $1.10, otherwise I'd have tilted.
the next time you play you should post some hands... Also let me know if you are going to play one of those. I will play...

One facet of Triple Draw play in tourneys is that the begining stages of the tourney can be very dangerous. I tend to play pretty tight in the tourneys as one big hand and you can be out EARLY. this is why 2-7 Triple Draw is the only structured event with re-buys at the WSOP.
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mondogarage Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:49 pm

I'll try to remember to post some hands in the future, but sometimes, when I'm 4-tabling turbo 5-table SNGs, and since I don't have PokerTracker, it's tough to stay on top of it. I usually only worry about saving hands for posting purposes when I'm only 1- or 2-tabling large field MTTs.

For what it's worth, the table was mostly weak, and I was able to induce a lot of folds just by betting strong and standing pat in the mid stages. Once I'd shown down a couple of very strong hands, folks were respecting my bets until we got to HU.
Mondogarage
Mondogarage

Back to top Go down

Post  ak1971 Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:28 pm

I actually hosted the 1/2 HORSE game that idh was mentioning. It was actually one of the best games I've ever hosted at my house..(.minus the .25/.50 NLHE New Years game where the min raise was $75.). Idh and I have been taking about getting a regular mixed game going for years now, looks like it could be more of a reality I do hope to get this game a a more regular game now that the holidays are over, as it seems like people are starting to be more and more interested in other games.
ak1971
ak1971

Back to top Go down

Post  idh78 Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:14 pm

I am ready to play another mixed game......set one up!
idh78
idh78

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum