Poker In Colorado
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Slick

5 posters

Go down

Big Slick Empty Big Slick

Post  CardJunkie Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:54 pm

This probably shouldn't fall under bad beats, it's more like bad play. I just can't give up this hand. Lost all my money on it last night.

On the button I get big slick. Under the gun makes a small raise, I double his raise and he calls. Flop comes A J 6, he bets and I call. Turn is another Ace. He check raises me all in. I know he has the A J at this point, but I still go ahead and pay him off. Stupid, I know. I put him on a boat and he probably could've shown me his cards and I still would've called. Like I said, I can't get away from big slick.
CardJunkie
CardJunkie

Back to top Go down

Big Slick Empty Re: Big Slick

Post  PoWdA Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:17 pm

CardJunkie wrote:This probably shouldn't fall under bad beats, it's more like bad play. I just can't give up this hand. Lost all my money on it last night.

On the button I get big slick. Under the gun makes a small raise, I double his raise and he calls. Flop comes A J 6, he bets and I call. Turn is another Ace. He check raises me all in. I know he has the A J at this point, but I still go ahead and pay him off. Stupid, I know. I put him on a boat and he probably could've shown me his cards and I still would've called. Like I said, I can't get away from big slick.
That sucks Dirk. I don't knwo If I can fold there either. Was this @ the toad?
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

https://pokerincolorado.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mondogarage Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:16 pm

Who runs the games at the Toad? If you're talking The Toad Tavern, the owner's sorta an acquaintance of mine -- good dude.
Mondogarage
Mondogarage

http://mondogarage.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  CardJunkie Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:24 pm

I had something like $55 left and I was getting better than 3:1 on my money so I figured it was worth a shot. I was hoping he had A Q or A 10, maybe even another big slick. I can live with losing that one but it would be hard going on if I got bluffed out.
CardJunkie
CardJunkie

Back to top Go down

Post  Mondogarage Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:41 pm

That was more a cooler than a bad beat. I don't see how the call can be faulted at all, unless you can only put him on a boat there, which I don't think you can. If his raise was no more than doubling the BB early, that looks a hell of a lot more like suited connectors or low pocket pair. AJ will usually make more like a 3.5x raise early, and making the call out of position is a tad bit loose there.

I think that hand was played fine, long run, though I would have preferred you re-raising more preflop, perhaps making a pot size bet. Either way, you were behind the whole time once the flop hit, on a board you can't really fold to, without being too nitty. tongue
Mondogarage
Mondogarage

http://mondogarage.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrupboy Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:27 pm

I don't think I can get away from this but I may have been able to salvage a complete loss. It's just one of those things that AK will get you into. If he calls your preflop raise he most likely has an Ax or a pocket pair. In this situation I may (and I stress may) have checked the turn depending on his mannerism while calling the flop bet or how he checked the turn. If I feel he may have caught something I would check the turn and hopefully he would make a value bet on the river so that I could see the result for cheap. Of course this is all dependent on how I perceive the player and this players history at the table. I've actually been in a similar position before and played it this way if the player would have went all in, I would have called. His value bet on the end saved me money and I ended up going deep in the tournament.
Scrupboy
Scrupboy

http://pokerzerotohero.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dexman1349 Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:18 pm

Scrupboy wrote:I don't think I can get away from this but I may have been able to salvage a complete loss. It's just one of those things that AK will get you into. If he calls your preflop raise he most likely has an Ax or a pocket pair. In this situation I may (and I stress may) have checked the turn depending on his mannerism while calling the flop bet or how he checked the turn. If I feel he may have caught something I would check the turn and hopefully he would make a value bet on the river so that I could see the result for cheap. Of course this is all dependent on how I perceive the player and this players history at the table. I've actually been in a similar position before and played it this way if the player would have went all in, I would have called. His value bet on the end saved me money and I ended up going deep in the tournament.

This is how I play any A-10 or better. I've lost so much money overplaying my A's (or any pocket pair), it's just crazy. If I had a nickel for every TP/TK I ended up folding because it just didn't "feel" right, I'd have a ton of nickels. Honestly, I'd rather play middle suited connectors because if they hit, they usually hit well, and they're easy to throw away if they don't.
dexman1349
dexman1349
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum