Poker In Colorado
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What would you do?

+5
Scrupboy
Stallion
CardJunkie
ak1971
dexman1349
9 posters

Go down

What would you do? Empty What would you do?

Post  dexman1349 Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:16 pm

Curoius to see what others would do.

PokerStars Game #15498619383: Tournament #78456900, $1.00+$0.20 Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2008/02/23 - 16:10:57 (ET)
Table '78456900 1' 9-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 3: FHain1981 (970 in chips)
Seat 4: ilonad (3000 in chips)
Seat 5: willemleidie (7830 in chips)
Seat 6: MannemerRudi (1375 in chips)
Seat 7: Dexman1349 (1715 in chips)
ilonad: posts small blind 50
willemleidie: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Dexman1349 [4c 4h]
MannemerRudi: raises 1275 to 1375 and is all-in
Dexman1349: (?)

folds
FHain1981: folds
ilonad: calls 1325
willemleidie: folds
*** FLOP *** [4s 6c As]
*** TURN *** [4s 6c As] [4d]
*** RIVER *** [4s 6c As 4d] [Ks]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
ilonad: shows [Jh Ad] (two pair, Aces and Fours)
MannemerRudi: shows [5d 5s] (two pair, Fives and Fours)
ilonad collected 2850 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2850 | Rake 0
Board [4s 6c As 4d Ks]
Seat 3: FHain1981 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: ilonad (small blind) showed [Jh Ad] and won (2850) with two pair, Aces and Fours
Seat 5: willemleidie (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 6: MannemerRudi showed [5d 5s] and lost with two pair, Fives and Fours
Seat 7: Dexman1349 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
dexman1349
dexman1349
Admin

Back to top Go down

What would you do? Empty Re: What would you do?

Post  ak1971 Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:04 pm

personally Id probably call him. The tourney is so small any two pair might win.
ak1971
ak1971

Back to top Go down

Post  CardJunkie Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:03 pm

I would've folded, the big stack was in the blind and you could probably count on him making it a three way pot if you called. I don't like making big calls with little pairs, i would rather push with them, and I definitely wouldn't want to be in a multi way pot with them.

That being said, I probably would shout profanities at my computer screen when the flop came and screamed some more when the turn hit. Then I would go on tilt and donk my money off the next hand.
CardJunkie
CardJunkie

Back to top Go down

Post  dexman1349 Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:03 pm

CardJunkie wrote:That being said, I probably would shout profanities at my computer screen when the flop came and screamed some more when the turn hit. Then I would go on tilt and donk my money off the next hand.

Profanities were definately thrown around. Luckily I didn't go on tilt right away. I was the big stack with 5 players left and had more chips than 2nd and 3rd combined. When I went head's up with second (who ended up with 2/3'rds the size of my stack after knocking out 3rd and 4th), I did a full tilt and ended up 2nd after only about 10 hands.

I was still happy for finishing in the money.
dexman1349
dexman1349
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Stallion Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:47 pm

CardJunkie wrote:I would've folded, the big stack was in the blind and you could probably count on him making it a three way pot if you called. I don't like making big calls with little pairs, i would rather push with them, and I definitely wouldn't want to be in a multi way pot with them.

That being said, I probably would shout profanities at my computer screen when the flop came and screamed some more when the turn hit. Then I would go on tilt and donk my money off the next hand.

+1 to this entire post.
Stallion
Stallion

Back to top Go down

Post  dexman1349 Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:06 pm

Hands like this are the reason I typically surf the internet while playing. As soon as I fold, I minimize the game so I don't see what transpires and wait for the screen to pop back up when it's my turn to act on the next hand. Sometimes I'll watch to see how others will play to get some reads and pick up on habits of others. My focus is not on what I folded, but more on the betting, the positions of players involved, and hopefully get to see as many hole cards as possible.

Watching the conclusion of a hand I folded is just as bad as "rabbit hunting." If you see what would have happened (and won), you kick yourself for folding and completely forget the fact that you probably played your hand correctly with the info you had at the time of the fold. It only speeds up the tilt process for me.
dexman1349
dexman1349
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrupboy Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:29 pm

I believe you were correct in folding. Depending on that person's play, you have to put him on a big hand or a race at the least. The raise would basically put you all in and as concluded, you would have been behind pre-flop. I like small pocket pairs for limping and hoping for a catch, but that was not the case here.

As far as seeing winning hands after mucking, this should be expected. I fold plenty of hands that would have been winners and on occasion would have been quads or straight flush. If you don't muck winning hands you are playing way too many hands. Yes, it would be nice to have played in this situations, but your play is right 9 out of 10 times.
Scrupboy
Scrupboy

http://pokerzerotohero.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWdA Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:42 pm

Keith this was an easy fold and you should never get down on yourself just because "you would have won." It simply does not matter, you should be confident you made the right decision. I mean think of how donkey a play that woulda been had you called. Could you say "wow I played that one good" or are you going to chalk that win up to luck?

I have seen a lot of hands I have folded go onto win the pot. I have seen 72 off flop boats and quads after folding. This still doesn't make it right to call pre-flop with 72 off. You played it right, don't let what happens after you make a correct fold bother you.
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

https://pokerincolorado.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mondogarage Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:24 pm

That's an easy fold. At best, you're in a race. At best. You may even be 20/80 there, and at those levels, there's no need for that play...

....even if there'd be need to replace your monitor afterwards. Very Happy

But seriously, even if you put him on a blatant steal, you can't resteal there (since he's all in), and unless he's doing it with 32o, you're no better than 50/50.
Mondogarage
Mondogarage

http://mondogarage.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWdA Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:46 pm

Mondogarage wrote:
....even if there'd be need to replace your monitor afterwards. Very Happy

Speaking of replacing monitors I am on a brand new laptop I bought today after destroying the compaq (laptop). I have awful laptop history. First i destroyed the Acers screen (july-ish), then I destroyed its motherboard after spending the $600 to get that screen replaced(ocotber-ish), I didn't bother to fix the motherboard I just bought the compaq (octoberish) and about a month ago some guy cracked my set with a river gutshot straight for all of my huge ass stack nearing the final table of a big tourney and I turned my $50 profit in that tourney into a cool negative $800 after buying this laptop to replace it today. I have spent over $2k replacing laptops over the last year Shocked

I am an idiot.

Carry on.
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

https://pokerincolorado.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kkravec Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:30 pm

PoWda...sounds like the computer issue should move to the "bad beats" section....good luck with your new laptop.

I have to agree with everything that was previously said about that hand. Easy muck for those 4s and sucks that you would have won, but forget about it, move to the next hand and take a big pot off him later in the tourney.

Good luck all at the tables.
kkravec
kkravec

Back to top Go down

What would you do? Empty pocket 4's

Post  mhackster Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:54 pm

had the identical thing happen in a live deepstack tourney-we started w/ $20,000 in chips. I raise w/ 4's in middle position early in the tourney to $200, 2 to my left raises to $600, then button raises to $1200. Still had over 23k in chips. Obviously made the same decision as you, which I will make all day long, and flop comes 2 fours. Since we were so deepstacked, there is something to be said for calling, but i agree with most of the posts that results can't drive your actions. Cool

mhackster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mondogarage Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:28 pm

mhackster wrote:had the identical thing happen in a live deepstack tourney-we started w/ $20,000 in chips. I raise w/ 4's in middle position early in the tourney to $200, 2 to my left raises to $600, then button raises to $1200. Still had over 23k in chips. Obviously made the same decision as you, which I will make all day long, and flop comes 2 fours. Since we were so deepstacked, there is something to be said for calling, but i agree with most of the posts that results can't drive your actions. Cool

Well, in your case, since you were the first raiser, a smooth call there might actually be a marginally +EV play, because the implied odds of hitting the set are huge -- but the 2nd raiser could squeeze/shove, and you'd be turbofolding there. After all, you raised from early position, representing strength, the button may easily be stealing. (My real concern in deciding action here is the middle position player.)

That said, there is never anything wrong with folding a low pocket pair behind a shove (or a 4-bet) preflop, when you're early enough in a tournament where you're as far away from pot committed as you can be.
Mondogarage
Mondogarage

http://mondogarage.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum