Poker In Colorado
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To go or not?

5 posters

Go down

To go or not? Empty To go or not?

Post  kkravec Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:33 pm

So most of my family live in Cleveland and my dad and uncle are throwing a surprise 60th anniversary party for my grandparents. Flights are about $300 each and with it being the beginning of next month Jenna can't miss work. There doesn't seem to be an expectations for us to come b/c we are 1500 miles away, but we are not sure if we should go? My family knows I have been out of work for 3 months now and that's been a strain on our cash flow....so I ask...should we eat the cost and go or just send a happy anniversary card?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance
kkravec
kkravec

Back to top Go down

To go or not? Empty Re: To go or not?

Post  dexman1349 Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:39 pm

I wouldn't stress out about attending unless you had the time and means to do it.

If you can't afford it, then it makes it that much easier to decide not to go. Obviously there is significantly more cost to the trip than just the airfare.

You could always come up with a creative way to be there. For example, you could try to get a web-cam set-up so that your face could be on the computer screen near the door, and you could still see them. Web cams are really cheap now (like $30) and most instant messenger services support web-cam transmissions (not always the audio part, but your face being there helps).

Just an idea.
dexman1349
dexman1349
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWdA Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:32 pm

hmmm... I don't think you should do anything if it is going to put a financial burden on you and your family. Explain the situation and maybe call during the party to say happy b-day and explain why you aren't there!
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

https://pokerincolorado.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kkravec Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:45 am

I can't say it would be much of a financial burden. With all concerns of money taken out of the picture....is it the right thing to do to be there for them? It might be a short trip with work considerations that can't be neglected.

Thanks again for your thoughts
kkravec
kkravec

Back to top Go down

Post  idh78 Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:27 pm

PoWdA wrote:hmmm... I don't think you should do anything if it is going to put a financial burden on you and your family. Explain the situation and maybe call during the party to say happy b-day and explain why you aren't there!

I probably wouldn't wish somebody a happy b-day on their anniversary unless I was really drunk Laughing
idh78
idh78

Back to top Go down

Post  pseudoswede Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:49 am

Since you'd be travelling by yourself, and if you have a friend in the midwest, you can easily get to Cleveland in two days by car with free lodging. Should end up being cheaper than flying.

It's crazy just how expensive it is to fly to Cleveland. We went last October for a wedding, and airfares never dropped below $325 the months before the wedding.
pseudoswede
pseudoswede

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWdA Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:31 pm

idh78 wrote:
PoWdA wrote:hmmm... I don't think you should do anything if it is going to put a financial burden on you and your family. Explain the situation and maybe call during the party to say happy b-day and explain why you aren't there!

I probably wouldn't wish somebody a happy b-day on their anniversary unless I was really drunk Laughing
Touche
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

https://pokerincolorado.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum