Poker In Colorado
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This can't be bad..

5 posters

Go down

This can't be bad.. Empty This can't be bad..

Post  snowocean Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:02 pm

http://www.pokernews.com/news/2009/01/poker-deemed-not-gambling-colorado-case-1032.htm

Not sure if you will see more games in bars or not, but good news for sure.
snowocean
snowocean

Back to top Go down

This can't be bad.. Empty Re: This can't be bad..

Post  pseudoswede Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:55 pm

The verdict won't change current laws, though.
pseudoswede
pseudoswede

Back to top Go down

Post  dexman1349 Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:43 am

pseudoswede wrote:The verdict won't change current laws, though.

No, but it helps define the ones that are in place...
dexman1349
dexman1349
Admin

Back to top Go down

This can't be bad.. Empty Nice verdict... potential problems though.

Post  Denver Poker Tour Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:05 pm

Recently I read this Blog on other sites too... But I have a few questions in regards to this issue.

Does this mean that other bars, restaurants, libraries, firehouse, mosques, and etc. can open up card rooms in their establishments?
Does all the money everyone paid in have to be paid out?
Does this mean the "event providers" can take a rake?
Does this mean the "event providers" can be paid for their services?
Does this mean an establishment can charge a "two drink minimum" or "cover charge"?
Does this mean people are allowed to play "live" games or "tournaments" only?
Does the winning player have to pay taxes on their winnings?
Would I like to have my company be able to do this? And profit by this?

Of course!

Hypothetically speaking:
"The Denver Poker Tour decides to charge $5.00 for every player to play and participate in a nightly tournament. 100 players show up, so the total pot is $500.00. First place receives $350.00, 2nd Place receives $100.00, and 3rd place $50.00."

Sounds nice right?

Now try this:

Everyone is allowed to play, and no one has to buy a soda, sandwich, beer, or any other object or confection in order to play.
Would the location owners actually pay some company, such as mine, to provide this form of entertainment? Or pay the dealers.
If no one is forced, required, or encouraged to purchase something, then why would the host location actually pay for the service, if they aren't getting anything out of it? But if a player at anytime is refused service, to play poker that is, for not spending any money in the establishment, wouldn't that constitute a (implied) rake?

Just thinking...

For the record, personally I think the decision is an eye opener for the business. Other states have decided recently on the same issue. However, they have also imposed laws governing the industry in their respective states. They have compared poker to pool leagues, and darts leagues. Nice comparison since they are both contests of skill, in my opinion. So, the states are still working out the details, and bills are being run through the respective legal means, I'm curious to what will happen next.

But at his moment in time, the Denver Poker Tour will continue to provide free bar poker for its' players, location owners, and friends until this rule or law is clarified even further.

Brian Masters
Denver Poker Tour

Denver Poker Tour

Back to top Go down

Post  Math Backwards Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:05 pm

If you charged $5 a head and had no rake, then I would start playing in the Donkey Poker Tour again.

Math Backwards

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum