Poker In Colorado
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bad news for sushi lovers...

Go down

Bad news for sushi lovers... Empty Bad news for sushi lovers...

Post  PoWdA Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:31 pm

This will piss me off SO bad if they ban Tuna. I love me some tuna.

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Sushi buffs, take heed: The Food and Drug Administration is considering the filing of a lawsuit that would take one type of sushi off the market.

The FDA is concerned about lab tests that were done for a New York Times article.

In those tests, researchers found so much mercury in raw tuna - mostly bluefin - that a regular diet of six pieces a week could be a health hazard.

All of the sushi tested was served at restaurants in New York City, but health experts believe similar results could be found in the rest of the country.

Eating too much mercury can increase a person's risk of cardiovascular disease and other neurological problems.

"It doesn't take very high levels of mercury to cause problems," said Dr. Ted Palen, a researcher with Kaiser Permanente. "Fish are notorious for carrying mercury."

"It is especially in the oceans and in fresh water because of industrial pollutions so the mercury gets into the water. The fish ingest it and then the predatory fish eat the smaller fish and the bigger fish eat those fish and it just accumulates in the flesh of the fish," said Palen.

Palen says ingesting too much mercury can damage the developing nervous system of a fetus or young children.

Currently, no government agency regularly tests seafood for mercury.

(Copyright KUSA*TV, All Right Reserved)
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

https://pokerincolorado.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum