Poker In Colorado
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sunday Noon Gates Tournament

+4
Stallion
PoWdA
Mondogarage
Scrupboy
8 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Sunday Noon Gates Tournament - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunday Noon Gates Tournament

Post  PoWdA Fri May 30, 2008 3:35 pm

Idh74 wrote:I think this may be similar to getting throw-up-on-myself drunk: I have to try it once, just to see why I shouldn't do it again... and then do it again, and again, and again, and again......
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

https://pokerincolorado.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrupboy Fri May 30, 2008 4:01 pm

Nice Mondo! Did I mention look for the tall Asian playing poker. I'm not really all that tall, but for Vietnamese I am a giant! If your wife doesn't play often she will surely hit the bad beat. Laughing

Come on in Dexman, it will be good times! Just tell your wife all the other players with wives are doing it.

I know how you feel sometimes with some of these structures Danny. If I had a choice they would all be like the "300" or WSOP events or even the new Mega Stacks events at Caesars this year. For the money, I don't believe you will find a better live tournament structure even in Vegas (other then special events). The blinds do start out higher, but your really just missing 2 structures from the "300". Only the 25/50 and 50/100 are missing and the first round is 100/100 instead of being at 100/200 which is where you would be after the first hour. The "300" is usually about a 9 or 10 hour tournament and this one is just about one hour shorter. Now if antes kick in it would be totally different. Does anyone know if antes are involved in this tournament?
Scrupboy
Scrupboy

http://pokerzerotohero.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mondogarage Fri May 30, 2008 4:13 pm

I believe antes kick in on the 3rd level, but I'm not 100% certain. I'll try to remember to wear my Brad Hawpe Rockies jersey for good luck on Sunday. Whether or not it's actually good luck, who knows.

Yeah, I think as far as structures go, the 30 minute blinds already makes it one of the best tourneys in BH. It's not *truly* a deep stack, but it's the best you can touch for $100 up the hill, and it's better than most $100 tourneys even in Vegas. It's still going to be a poooooooooooshfest eventually, but for a hill tourney, it appeals to me more than most.
Mondogarage
Mondogarage

http://mondogarage.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  idh78 Fri May 30, 2008 4:29 pm

PoWdA wrote:
Idh74 wrote:I think this may be similar to getting throw-up-on-myself drunk: I have to try it once, just to see why I shouldn't do it again... and then do it again, and again, and again, and again......

who is this Idh74 imposter? sounds like a real loser if you ask me.
idh78
idh78

Back to top Go down

Post  idh78 Fri May 30, 2008 4:30 pm

since I''l be up there anyway I will make sure to stop by and say hi to you bums before I stroll out of town.
idh78
idh78

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWdA Fri May 30, 2008 4:49 pm

idh78 wrote:
PoWdA wrote:

who is this Idh74 imposter? sounds like a real loser if you ask me.
Yeah almost as bad as Idh78 but not quite.

Nothing can be as bad as the real thing.
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

https://pokerincolorado.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mondogarage Fri May 30, 2008 4:58 pm

idh78 wrote:since I''l be up there anyway I will make sure to stop by and say hi to you bums before I stroll out of town.

Why does your avatar look like Dr. Pauly?
Mondogarage
Mondogarage

Back to top Go down

Post  dexman1349 Fri May 30, 2008 8:28 pm

dexman1349 wrote:If I get the go-ahead from my wife (won't talk to her until tonight), I'd be interested in the profit sharing as posted above. I'll post here once I know.

I have the tentative ok (we all know how our wives work). If anything changes, I'll let you guys know.
dexman1349
dexman1349
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  idh78 Fri May 30, 2008 10:41 pm

Mondogarage wrote:
idh78 wrote:since I''l be up there anyway I will make sure to stop by and say hi to you bums before I stroll out of town.

Why does your avatar look like Dr. Pauly?

it's Allen "the chainsaw" Kessler
idh78
idh78

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrupboy Sat May 31, 2008 2:42 pm

dexman1349 wrote:
dexman1349 wrote:If I get the go-ahead from my wife (won't talk to her until tonight), I'd be interested in the profit sharing as posted above. I'll post here once I know.

I have the tentative ok (we all know how our wives work). If anything changes, I'll let you guys know.
Nice! I am worried about the "tentative ok". If your wife is like mine, you better make a break for the door first thing in the morning. If you drag it on you will get the "fine, just go then" which is alright as well. Laughing
Scrupboy
Scrupboy

Back to top Go down

Post  idh78 Sat May 31, 2008 4:54 pm

if my hungover ass makes it into the gates tomorrow I will be wearing my Cubs "Fukudome" shirt.....but there is a 99.98% chance I won't be playing the tourney
idh78
idh78

Back to top Go down

Post  Mondogarage Sat May 31, 2008 10:30 pm

Scrupboy wrote:
dexman1349 wrote:

Nice! I am worried about the "tentative ok". If your wife is like mine, you better make a break for the door first thing in the morning. If you drag it on you will get the "fine, just go then" which is alright as well. Laughing

Hahah...my wife's coming with, though she'll probably end up at the Lodge going after that juicy bad beat. She wants to get some donkey 2/5 in before our Vegas trip. No idea what I'm wearing. Was thinking about one of my Rox jerseys for luck, but they're sucking too much ass for me to run g00t with one, probably.
Mondogarage
Mondogarage

Back to top Go down

Post  dexman1349 Sat May 31, 2008 11:16 pm

I'm not sure what I'm wearing yet, but I'll have my Home Depot Racing #20 hat on as always
dexman1349
dexman1349
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  idh78 Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:19 pm

sorry never made it over there....good luck to all playing in the tourney...
idh78
idh78

Back to top Go down

Post  dexman1349 Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:01 pm

yeah, it just wasn't meant to be. I would get 2 pair to be beaten by a straight, AQ lose to 10's, and ultimately my pocket queens crushed by pocket aces to knock me out. I could never really get anything going, and I just couldn't get comfortable.

I might try it again sometime, but probably not for a while.

It was nice to see you again Son, and nice to see you in person finally Mondo.
dexman1349
dexman1349
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mondogarage Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:43 pm

It was really cool meeting you and Scrupboy. Sadly, it just wasn't my day. Five pocket pairs (none higher than JJ), all have to fold to terrible flops. The last one, the JJ...should have folded (guy on my left had AA, and he obv called when I shoved the 887 flop...and I really have a hard time putting someone on AA preflop, if it's not 4-bet).

I won a small early pot to get up to like 15600, but it was all downhill from there. A9 in the SB goes down to the table donkey who called all kinds of bets with all kindsa crap (against other people) only to win pots with hands like A3. Anyway, he shows ATo and wins. Flopped pair on an 7-high board goes down BvB to the other blind who had me outkicked on the same pair. Just couldn't get fuckall going. I didn't play great, but I really don't think I played poorly...just couldn't hit a damn thing.

Maybe Son will pull out the day and take the whole enchilada,and we can still make out on our points.
Mondogarage
Mondogarage

Back to top Go down

Post  dexman1349 Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:05 am

Mondogarage wrote: Just couldn't get fuckall going. I didn't play great, but I really don't think I played poorly...just couldn't hit a damn thing.

That was my day in a nutshell, too. I was up about 2500-3000 early on (pocket Aces twice and pocket queens), but since none of the hands ever got shown, the table adjusted to my post-flop raises by re-raising me to convince me that my pre-flop raise was just a hoax and I had nothing. When I finally pushed back, it was against a calling station that just happend to flop the nuts and I was essentially drawing dead. Even after I got home I still couldn't catch anything online. Yesterady just was a bad poker day for me.

Mondogarage wrote: Maybe Son will pull out the day and take the whole enchilada,and we can still make out on our points.

I haven't heard how he did yet. He did one of two things: 1) Had the same kinda day we did, but managed to outlast the both of us, or 2) He finished in the money and doesn't want to admit it so he wouldn't need to pay-up on the BAP's. Very Happy

I'm pretty sure it's #1 simply because I know Son wouldn't roll anyone, but we'll just have to wait for his summary... tongue
dexman1349
dexman1349
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrupboy Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:23 am

Really great to meet you Mondo and good to see you again Keith. It's always nice to put a face to these forum names. It's pretty funny cause I kept referring to both of you by your forum names, "Hey Mondo..." or "What happened Dexman". Of course I was drinking as well.

Did we have a last longer bet? Razz Unfortunately, there will be no dividends to disperse. After nearly 6 hours of play I bust out in 12th place. I never went under the 15k starting chips the entire tournament until one hand. It sucks as I had built my chips slowly over the course of the tournament and was sitting at 48k when the blinds were 3000/6000. A guy with 40k moves all in for the 4th time in about 10 hands and I look down at AQ and make the call. I am pretty sure it's a race and with the blinds escalating it was time to risk my chips. The guy says, "Are we racing?" To which I reply, "Yep, Do you have 5's or 6's?" He shows pocket 7's and I'm happy to see the A on the flop, but sad to see a 7 as well. This cripples me down to 8k in chips and they soon get in the pot with K high to where a deuce of diamonds makes a flush and takes me out. It's so frustrating to play for so long and bust out a few from the final table. Oh well, it could have been worse, I could have bubbled.

Luckily, I made $120 in live action before the tourney and basically played for free. After busting out of the tournament and about 10 vodka redbulls in my system, I was ready to play some more live action. My play is well and I end up another $140 winner. I stopped drinking and had a couple cups of coffee, but after about 3 hours of play I was spent and tired. Got a ride from one of the dealers that lives close to me after I explained to him that I rode the bus. In bed by 11, but with all the redbull in the system I didn't get to bed until about 1:30.

Notes about the tournament:
- I thought the structure allowed for quite a bit of post flop play.
-There were no antes and the structure was progressive allowing for decent play and a little room for error early on.
- Turns into an all-in fest around the 4 or 5 hour mark which is better then the all-in fest after the 2nd hour for 20 minute structures. Of course a healthy chip stack will still allow for decent play after the 5 hour mark.
- IMO, best value tournament next to the "300" at The Gilpin. I will play it again sometime.
Scrupboy
Scrupboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mondogarage Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:31 am

Yeah, I was reasonably okay with the structure as well, and will play it again if I ever go back up the hill. Wifey doubled her buyin at bingo 2/5, so she's feeling good.

I'm on major life tilt at the moment as it now appears my entire Vegas vacation is in jeopardy because of work, though I know know for certain for a few hours. Any of youse guys know any premier law firms in Denver looking for experience litigation paralegals?

"about 10 vodka redbulls in my system"

That is just so wrong. Stomach pump lately? Laughing
Mondogarage
Mondogarage

Back to top Go down

Post  dexman1349 Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:39 am

Scrupboy wrote:Luckily, I made $120 in live action before the tourney and basically played for free. After busting out of the tournament and about 10 vodka redbulls in my system, I was ready to play some more live action. My play is well and I end up another $140 winner. I stopped drinking and had a couple cups of coffee, but after about 3 hours of play I was spent and tired. Got a ride from one of the dealers that lives close to me after I explained to him that I rode the bus. In bed by 11, but with all the redbull in the system I didn't get to bed until about 1:30.

Notes about the tournament:
- I thought the structure allowed for quite a bit of post flop play.
-There were no antes and the structure was progressive allowing for decent play and a little room for error early on.
- Turns into an all-in fest around the 4 or 5 hour mark which is better then the all-in fest after the 2nd hour for 20 minute structures. Of course a healthy chip stack will still allow for decent play after the 5 hour mark.
- IMO, best value tournament next to the "300" at The Gilpin. I will play it again sometime.

Good job on the last-longer part, bummer on missing the final table. It's really frustrating when you play for 5-6 hours and end-up with nothing to show for it. Good job at the cash tables as well.

I thought the structure was pretty good for the 3 levels I played in, although I could see how this could turn into a push fest relatively quickly if the levels are shortened at all. I agree that an early mistake is very difficult to recover from with this structure.

The part that kinda confused me was amount of poor play givin the buy-in. I realize that this isn't a professional tourney by any means, but there was a certain "bar poker" feel to several of the players at my table (7-9 off is a legimate hand to defend the small blind against a 4xBB preflop raise, right?). I know I need to work on my ability to adjust to the table relatively quickly, but the play was very random and hard to read any kind of flow. Oh well, I'd like to play it again simply to see if it was a one time bad day, or if it truly isn't my type of tourney. Hopefully in a month or two I'll be able to play it again. It takes me a little while to build up a stash to play with as well as to convince my wife that it's a good thing she'll be watching the kids all by herself all day. Razz
dexman1349
dexman1349
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrupboy Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:17 pm

Mondogarage wrote:I'm on major life tilt at the moment as it now appears my entire Vegas vacation is in jeopardy because of work, though I know know for certain for a few hours. Any of youse guys know any premier law firms in Denver looking for experience litigation paralegals?
That really sucks! The Law Firm I work for has a lot of flexibility. It's an entire different area of law (Collection) and we don't do much for litigation. PM me if you want more information. I don't believe it would be up your alley, but you never know.

Mondogarage wrote:"about 10 vodka redbulls in my system"

That is just so wrong. Stomach pump lately? Laughing
Not very healthy at all. I am blessed with one true gift, I never get hangovers. It doesn't matter how much or what I drink, I wake up and all is well. Only problem I'm having today is that I am tired. Of course, hearing your heart beating when trying to sleep is probably not a good thing.
Scrupboy
Scrupboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrupboy Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:29 pm

dexman1349 wrote:The part that kinda confused me was amount of poor play givin the buy-in. I realize that this isn't a professional tourney by any means, but there was a certain "bar poker" feel to several of the players at my table (7-9 off is a legimate hand to defend the small blind against a 4xBB preflop raise, right?). I know I need to work on my ability to adjust to the table relatively quickly, but the play was very random and hard to read any kind of flow. Oh well, I'd like to play it again simply to see if it was a one time bad day, or if it truly isn't my type of tourney. Hopefully in a month or two I'll be able to play it again. It takes me a little while to build up a stash to play with as well as to convince my wife that it's a good thing she'll be watching the kids all by herself all day. Razz
There is always some poor play in these tourneys and you will find that at any level of tournament. It's pretty easy to place all players into a few categories of play type (tight, textbook, maniac) and I think that's the key. A lot of these players will play the same method throughout the entire tournament, the key is to adjust to their styles and switch yours up based on them. With the stacks as deep as they are in the beginning you will find me playing a wide variety of hands, especially if I feel that I can out play the person post flop. Calling 7-9 is not a great hand to play, but if you feel that you have a good read on a person, I would play it at the beginning stages of a tournament. It can also be disquised very well if you flop a monster. Earlier in this tournament I called some pretty big bets form a guy with pocket deuces. The flop comes A-x-x all diamonds. He makes a very large bet and all fold. I am last to act and know that he doesn't have a diamond and one of my deuces is a diamond. The diamond falls on the turn and I value bet as well as on the river. I say, "deuce of diamonds." and show my hand to where he throws his cards at the dealer face up revealing A-Q spades and mumbles about what a horrible call I made. The point is, you can loosen up your game early and see more flops with the amount of starting chips we had. There were many times where I feel I laid down the best hand PF or on the flop, but the amount bet was ridiculous and not worth it early in this tournament. Play should be relevant to the blind structure and chips in play, but there are still a lot of players that don't take this in consideration. Sorry about my rambling, just my thoughts.

I hope that you get back into the game soon as I'm sure you will do well on your second stint. Very Happy
Scrupboy
Scrupboy

Back to top Go down

Post  idh78 Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:32 pm

randomn thought.....I really really suck at poker when I'm sober...that is all, carry on gentlemen.
idh78
idh78

Back to top Go down

Post  dexman1349 Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:45 pm

idh78 wrote:randomn thought.....I really really suck at poker

FYP Razz

Oh wait, I suck at poker too... Shocked
dexman1349
dexman1349
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrupboy Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:50 pm

idh78 wrote:randomn thought.....I really really suck at poker when I'm sober...that is all, carry on gentlemen.
So how was the B-Day and the poker play at The Lodge? Still can't believe you couldn't stumble over to the GG. I would have bought you a shot to help with that hangover.

EDIT - Just saw that you have a thread about your trip. Veddy Nice!
Scrupboy
Scrupboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next