Poker In Colorado
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

High / Low game question

3 posters

Go down

High / Low game question Empty High / Low game question

Post  dexman1349 Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:17 am

This will probably sound like a complete donk, but what is the absolute nuts for a High/low game?

I know the royal flush is the nuts for any high game, but will still split the pot to a low. Along these lines, I would assume it would be a straight flush wheel (A-5) right?
dexman1349
dexman1349
Admin

Back to top Go down

High / Low game question Empty Re: High / Low game question

Post  Scrupboy Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:55 am

The "nut" low would be any wheel. A straight flush wheel would still have the same low value as a mixed suited wheel. The "nut" low is exactly as it sounds, the lowest 5 cards possible.

...we're all here to learn and share experience, so don't feel like a Donk for asking this question. Very Happy
Scrupboy
Scrupboy

http://pokerzerotohero.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dexman1349 Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:07 pm

It makes sense that the wheel is the nut low. The more I think about it, the more I realize that there is no 5-card hand possible to be both the nut high and low simply because the suited wheel would still lose to the royal flush in the high side.

In Omaha I guess it would be possible to have both if you held two to the low and two to the high (except the ace) and the board filled the gaps. Example: You hold 4,5,k,10 and the board was A,2,3,Q,J. The Ace would have to be on the board.

From a stud game standpoint, it's impossible to have the nut high and low simply because 9 cards are needed and you only have 7.

Is this correct?
dexman1349
dexman1349
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrupboy Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:15 pm

dexman1349 wrote:It makes sense that the wheel is the nut low. The more I think about it, the more I realize that there is no 5-card hand possible to be both the nut high and low simply because the suited wheel would still lose to the royal flush in the high side.

In Omaha I guess it would be possible to have both if you held two to the low and two to the high (except the ace) and the board filled the gaps. Example: You hold 4,5,k,10 and the board was A,2,3,Q,J. The Ace would have to be on the board.

From a stud game standpoint, it's impossible to have the nut high and low simply because 9 cards are needed and you only have 7.

Is this correct?
Sounds exactly right to me. In stud, you can only have the absolute nuts with the high or low, but not both. In Omaha it is possible to have both the absolute nut low and royal and in any 5-card game you could only have one or the other.
Scrupboy
Scrupboy

http://pokerzerotohero.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PoWdA Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:24 pm

To put it simply the best hand in any hi/lo game (with qualifier) is still a royal flush. The nut low is the nut low... not the best hand. Sure you would not mind holding a "steel wheel" (A-5 straight flush) but thsi is not "the best hand" because this pot can be split for low still. The best hand is still the royal flush as if one is possible you are taking the entire pot.
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

https://pokerincolorado.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down