Poker In Colorado
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building my own table (progress thread)

3 posters

Go down

Building my own table (progress thread) Empty Building my own table (progress thread)

Post  dexman1349 Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:33 pm

So after the game at my place on Friday night, I figured I should probably get myself a good poker table.

After doing a little research online I found this site to give me ideas on how to layout a table top type poker table:

http://www.ezpokertables.com/

They have a pretty good layout for a 9 or 10 man type oval similar to the one Danny had at his place a while back. While I like that general style (padded rail, racetrack,, & felt), I don't have much use for a table that big. Instead I decided to develop my own octagon table loosely based on the plans given on the site above. Essentially what I want is the octagon table shown about 1/2 down on that page above.

Building my own table (progress thread) Octagonfinalargel

Next came the actual design phase: how much and what type of wood would I need, what type of fabric (felt, speed cloth, other?), colors, and general assembly. Basically I developed a plan to build a 48" wide octagon table with a green speed cloth, black padded rail, and a natural finished solid maple race track. I'm still undecided on whether or not I will add cup holders.

Here's a few pictures of the materials for the final product:
speed cloth
Building my own table (progress thread) 2051_1_bo

the wood:
Building my own table (progress thread) TNmaple-natural

and everyone already knows what black vinyl looks like.

So in the following days (or weeks) I will update this thread with the progress so far including how-to's and pictures. Feel free to comment and ask questions on how things are done.
dexman1349
dexman1349
Admin

Back to top Go down

Building my own table (progress thread) Empty Re: Building my own table (progress thread)

Post  dexman1349 Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:03 pm

This is a materials and cost post that I will update as I purchase supplies.

1 sheet of 3/4" particle board
2x 2x4's
$20 @ Home Depot

2x 1"x6"x7' pieces of solid maple
1 hour of shop time (table saw & jointer use since I don't have either)
$80 @ Woodcraft (woodworking store @ DTC & 225)

1"x24"x96" rail foam
$20 @ walmart

60"x48" piece of speed cloth & 1/4" same sized table foam:
$60 on Ebay

Black vinyl (faux leather)
$55 @ Rocky Mountain Gaming

Still need to purchase:
materials to make a protective case (canvas, zipper, velcro, etc. undecided on style of cover.
misc. assembly hardware and stains

Total:
$235 spent so far.

Last edited by dexman1349 on Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
dexman1349
dexman1349
Admin

Back to top Go down

Building my own table (progress thread) Empty Re: Building my own table (progress thread)

Post  PoWdA Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:49 pm

Nice and good luck on the project! Like I said in the other thread, keep us posted!
PoWdA
PoWdA
Admin

https://pokerincolorado.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  grasshopp3r Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:55 pm

I have an electric stapler, which was really handy for the rail. I have pnuematic nailers/staplers, but they seem like overkill.

I also have all of the tools (including the jointer, table saw, planer, etc.), but it looks like you are past the cutting stage.

You should think about bolting the table legs to the table instead of screws if you are using folding legs. It seems to help the stability.

grasshopp3r

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down